Susana Pimenta de Sousa is a partner in the Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Law and Commercial Contracts department. She has an extensive experience on advising domestic and international clients on purchase and sale of companies and assets, acquisition of majority and minority interests, creation and negotiation of joint ventures and strategic alliances, cross-border and business restructurings, as well as recurring and ongoing advisory services on corporate law and contractual matters to Portuguese companies and international groups present in Portugal. She is part of Garrigues Agribusiness group. She graduated from the Law School of Universidade de Lisboa and has a post-graduation in Tax by the Instituto Superior de Gestão. She has been recognized by Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000, Best Lawyers and InspiraLaw Women (Iberian Lawyer).
Susana Pimenta de Sousa has been a partner in the Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Law and Commercial Contracts department since 2009 and joined the firm in 2002.
She specializes in Mergers and Acquisitions transactions, in structuring and implementation acquisitions, joint ventures and cross-border deals, as well as in general Corporate Law and Commercial Contracts advice for domestic and international clients, including:
- Processes for the purchase and sale of companies and assets, including carve-outs, co-investments, acquisition of minority interests, both in bilateral and competitive processes, and assisting the clients in all stages of the same;
- Investment agreements, joint ventures and all types of strategic alliances with corporate or contractual structure;
- Processes of building up family protocols for Portuguese groups, including advice in all stages until final implementation;
- Complex corporate mergers, spin-offs, both domestic and cross-border, as part of takeover or for a group corporate restructuring;
- Advice to management bodies on corporate governance and day-to-day corporate matters;
- Ongoing advice related to commercial contracts, including outsourcing, operating, distribution, agency, franchise, supply and EPC contracts, among others.
- Degree in Law, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Post-graduation in Tax by the Instituto Superior de Gestão.
Portuguese Bar Association
- Chambers & Partners (Europe) – Ranked in Band 5.
- IFLR1000 – Notable Practitioner.
- Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in the ranking of the Top 50 women in the legal industry in Spain and Portugal in the Iberian Lawyer’s InspiraLAw initiative in 2018.
- Person in charge of preparing and revising the Portuguese chapter of “Mergers and Acquisitions” and “M&A Tax Fundamentals”, International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.