+34 98 520 86 00
+34 981 12 46 30
+34 986 82 90 00
+34 983 36 14 75
Registered lawyer nº 4020
I. Colegio de Abogados de Oviedo
Carlos García Barcala began his professional career in 1996 in the Tax Law Department of Arthur Andersen, Asesores Legales y Tributarios. Following the merger between Arthur Andersen and Garrigues, he took on the role of creating and developing the Garrigues Labor and Employment Law Department at the Oviedo office. He made partner in 2008 and subsequently took over the leadership of the Labor and Employment Law Department, first in Castilla y León and subsequently in Galicia. He is currently the partner in charge of the Labor and Employment Law Department in Northwest Spain (Asturias, Galicia and Castilla y León), covering the offices of Oviedo, ValladoIid, Vigo and La Coruña.
He has extensive experience in all labor and social security law matters and, in particular, in relation to all types of labor litigation, workforce restructuring processes (collective layoffs, temporary layoff procedures (ERTEs), processes for modification of working conditions, among others), advising executives, and negotiating collective labor agreements.
Carlos regularly participates in proceedings before the labor courts, both within his geographical area of practice and beyond, depending on the needs of his clients.
He speaks Spanish, English and French.
- Degree in law, Faculty of Law, Universidad de Oviedo (1990-1995).
- Master’s Degree in Legal Counseling for Businesses, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid (1995-1996).
- Master’s Degree in European Law, Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (2003-2004).
- Specialist Course in Labor Relations, IE Law School, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid (2001).
- He has been an associate lecturer on labor and social security law subjects at Universidad de Oviedo since 2020, teaching classes on the Law and Labor Relations degree courses.
- Lecturer on the Master’s Degree for Access to the Legal Profession (labor litigation module), jointly organized by Universidad de Oviedo and the Oviedo Bar Association.
- He regularly lectures on labor matters of interest at the Centro de Estudios of the Oviedo Bar Association.
- Lecturer on the Course for Admission to the List of Duty Labor and Employment Lawyers.
- Lecturer on the Higher Course in Labor and Social Security Law and Labor Procedure organized by the School of Legal Practice at Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Regular speaker at seminars on labor and social security matters organized by entities such as Asociación para el Progreso de la Dirección (APD), the Asturian Employers’ Federation (FADE), Foro de Automoción de Castilla y León (FACYL), and more.
- He is one of the mediators of the Asturias Out-of-Court Dispute Resolution Service (SASEC), after being put forward by the Asturian Employers’ Federation (FADE) and has acted as mediator in the resolution of numerous labor disputes (collective layoffs, temporary layoffs, strikes, collective labor agreements, collective disputes, among others).
- He is a member of the Oviedo Bar Association.
- Best Lawyers directory: featured every year since 2015.
- Client Choice Award 2022 in Labor & Employment. This accolade is awarded by the publication International Law Office, in collaboration with Lexology.
- Coauthor of the chapter “El régimen jurídico del personal funcionario y laboral al servicio de la Comunidad Autónoma y de los Entes locales en Asturias” (The Legal Regime for Civil Service Personnel and Public Sector Employees in the service of the Autonomous Community Government and of Local Government Entities in the Principality of Asturias) in “Derecho del Empleo Público en el Principado de Asturias”, 2012. IUSTEL.
- “Prescripción de sanciones acordadas por la empresa (a propósito de la sentencia de la Sala de lo Social del TSJ de Cataluña de 22 de febrero de 2001)” (Statute-barring of Penalties Agreed by the Employer (à propos of the Judgment of the Labor Chamber of the High Court of Catalonia of February 22, 2001) in “Relaciones Laborales”. Wolters Kluwer.
- Author of numerous articles and contributions in a range of publications (Diario El Comercio, Diario La Nueva España, Expansión, etc.).