Amendments to the Law of Dumping in Mexican Marine Zone
Mexico Administrative Law Alert
The Official Gazette of the Federation has published, on April 13, 2020, the decree amending various provisions of the Law on Dumping in Mexican Marine Areas.
Among the changes introduced, the following should be highlighted:
Activities that are considered as discharges
It will not be considered as dumping:
- Resuspension of sediment;
- The discharge of any type of organic matter as an attractant of biological species, whose purpose is not to be caught;
- The placement of materials or objects of any nature, in order to create artificial reefs, springs, breakwaters;
- The disposal at sea of waste directly or indirectly related to the operation of ships, aircraft, platforms or other constructions at sea;
- The abandonment of materials for a purpose other than mere evacuation.
Powers of the Ministry of the Navy
The powers of the Ministry of the Navy are revoked with respect to the proposed costs of oil spill services and the amount of fees to be charged to permit holders for the use of the marine area.
Discharges in the hydrocarbon sector
With regard to discharges from hydrocarbon sector activities, coordination mechanisms are to be established between the Ministry of the Navy and the National Agency for Industrial Safety and Environmental Protection of the Hydrocarbon Sector.
Rights for the use of marine areas
The provision of rights for the use of Mexican marine areas is repealed.