Thomas Thorndike is a partner at Garrigues´ Corporate Department, based in our Lima, Peru office.
He specializes in finance transactions (corporate finance, acquisition financing, project finance, etc.), M&A, capital markets regulation and transactions (both domestic and cross-border), Corporate Law, projects and pre-bankruptcy financial restructuring.
He is a summa cum laude graduate from Universidad de Lima, and holds an LLM degree from Columbia University.
Finally, he is also a professor at the Law School of Universidad del Pacifico.
Prior to joining Garrigues, he was a partner at Rubio Leguía Normand (Lima), having also worked as an associate at Weil Gotshal & Manges (New York) and Cuatrecasas (Madrid).
He has over 20 years of experience in the structuring, development, acquisition/sale and financing of companies, ventures and projects, having practiced Law in three different jurisdictions (Peru, Spain and the U.S.).
Industry experience includes a broad range of sectors, such as infrastructure (toll roads, airports, logistics, rail, irrigation, telecom, etc.), financial services, agriculture, health, mining, oil & gas, retail, real estate, fishery and electricity (generation, transmission and distribution), among others.
Several of the trasnactions he has led overtime have been the matter of recognition and/or awards, including:
- Latin Finance Project & Infra Finance Awards: Airport Financing of the Year 2021
- Latin Finance Project & Infra Finance Awards: Digital Infrastructure/ Telecoms Financing of the Year 2021
- IJGlobal Awards 2020: LATAM Refinancing Renewables deal of the year
- IJGlobal Awards 2020: LATAM Transport Airport deal of the year
- PROXIMO Latin America: Portfolio Power Deal of the Year 2020
- Bonds & Loans Latin America & Caribbean Awards: Private Placement Deal of 2021
- Latin Finance: Best High Yield Corporate Bond Deal of the Year
- IJ Global (Euromoney): Latin America Multisourced Financing Deal of the Year
- International Finance Law Review - IFLR: Project Finance Deal of the Year Award
- Project Finance Magazine: Latin America Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2004
- Project Finance International - PFI: Americas P3 Deal of the Year
- Latin Finance: Top 10 Latin America & Caribbean Project Finance Deal 2004-2005
Degree in Law (Summa Cum Laude) from Universidad de Lima.
Master’s Degree in Law (LLM) at Columbia University.
Diploma in Electricity, Gas & Energy Regulation from Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas - UPC.
Professor of Finance and Collateral at the Law School of Universidad del Pacífico.
Professor of Project Finance at the Law School of Universidad del Pacífico.
Professor of the Business Planning Seminar at the Law School of Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas - UPC.
Lima BAR Association (Colegio de Abogados de Lima).
New York Bar Association.
His professional trajectory has been higlighted by top tier international publications in respect to his practice in Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, M&A and Projects, including among others:
- Chambers & Partners
- International Finance Law Review - IFLR
- Who is Who
- Legal 500
- Leaders League