Mario Ybar is Counsel in charge of the Competition Law practice in Santiago, Chile.
He has advised Chilean and international clients on a wide variety of competition law matters, such as mergers and acquisitions, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance, compliance issues or litigation before the Competition Tribunal.
He holds a degree in Law from the Universidad de Chile and an LL.M. (Masters of Laws) from University College London.
He has been recognized by Chambers & Partners in Competition/Antitrust.
Mario Ybar is counsel and head of the competition practice.
His practice focuses on antitrust, litigation, and mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining Garrigues, Mario worked for 15 years at the Chilean competition agency (Fiscalía Nacional Económica –FNE-) where he held different positions: acting national economic prosecutor, deputy national economic prosecutor, head of the mergers division and deputy head of investigations.
- Law degree, Universidad de Chile (1999).
- Lawyer qualification, Supreme Court of Chile (2002).
- Master of Laws (LL.M. in competition law), University College London, UK (2009).
- Guest professor at Universidad del Desarrollo and Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez post graduate programs.
- Visiting scholar at Universidad Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2019).
- "De qué hablamos cuando hablamos de competencia: Un análisis aplicado al caso Supermercados II". (What Are We Talking About When We Talk About Competition: Applied Analysis to the Supermarket II Case)”. In P. Montt & N. Nehme (Eds.), Libre Competencia y Retail (pp. 29-48). 2010. Santiago. Legal Publishing.
- "Comprendiendo el Abuso de Posición de Dominio" (Understanding the Abuse of Dominance) Review on the national and comparative doctrine and jurisprudence about the main exclusionary conducts). In Revista de Derecho Económico (pp. 29-48). Universidad de Chile, Facultad de Derecho. N° 76. 2014.
- "Abuse of Collective Dominance: Pushing (While Narrowing) the Boundaries". En N. Charbit & S. Ahmad (Eds.), Richard Whish Liber Amicorum: Taking Competition Law Outside the Box (pp. 141-159). 2020. London. Concurrences.
- Chapter of Chile. En P. Burnier y P. Sittenfeld (Eds.), Merger Control in Latin America: A Jurisdictional Guide (pp. 51-60). 2020. Concurrences.