José de Seabra Marcão is a senior associate in the Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate Law and Commercial Contracts practices at Garrigues, which he joined in September 2015.
His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, start-ups and emerging companies, as well as complex corporate matters, in respect of which he advises buyers, sellers, founders, and investors, including private equity and venture capital firms. He is also experienced in acquisition financing and regulatory issues, notably in the insurance sector.
José has a Undergraduate degree in Law and a Master's in Law & Business, both from the Portuguese Catholic University.
José was ranked #4 as Rising Star Dealmaker Lawyer by number of transactions in 2022 according to TTR and #2 in 2021.
José is a senior associate since 2022, having began his career at Garrigues, which he joined in September 2015 as a junior lawyer.
He deals mostly with mergers and acquisitions and complex cross-border transactions. Work highlights in recent years include:
- Advising Feedzai in its series D investment round, raising USD 200 million from KKR and other reference investors and becoming the first unicorn headquartered in Portugal;
- Advising Apax in its EUR 168 million acquisition of GamaLife (previously GNB Vida) from Novo Banco;
- Advising Santander in setting up its Portuguese bancassurance alliances with Aegon and Mapfre;
- Advising TagEnergy in raising EUR 450 million from Impala, Mirova, and Omnes aimed at funding renewable energy and battery projects in Europe and Australia; and
- Advising GamaLife in its EUR 128 million acquisition of an Italian life insurance portfolio from Zurich.
Bilingual proficiency in Portuguese and English. Working proficiency in Spanish.
- Undergraduate Degree in Law, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Faculdade de Direito (Lisbon).
- Master's Degree in Law & Business, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Católica Lisbon School of Business and Economics.
José is a member of the Portuguese Bar Association.
José was ranked #4 as the Rising Star Dealmaker Lawyer by number of transactions in 2022 according to TTR and #2 in 2021. He was also ranked #9 as Rising Star Dealmaker Lawyer by deal value in 2022.