+34 91 514 52 00
Registered lawyer nº 47083
I. Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
Javier Ybáñez is senior partner at Garrigues. He is also the partner in charge of coordinating Garrigues' practice in Latin America. He specializes in corporate law, specifically in the securities market, financial and M&A sectors. He holds a law degree from Universidad Complutense de Madrid (CEU San Pablo). He has been recognized by Chambers, Best Lawyers and PLC, among others.
Javier Ybáñez is senior partner of Garrigues since June 2019, having spent his entire professional career at Garrigues.
Since mid-2013 he has coordinated Garrigues' expansion into Latin America through the establishment of fully integrated own offices in Bogotá (Colombia), Lima (Peru), Mexico City (Mexico) and Santiago (Chile).
He specializes in corporate/commercial law, focusing on securities markets, finance and M&A.
He has taken part as a legal adviser on an array of major projects for the foremost companies in the Spanish business community, with noteworthy experience in the following areas:
- Recurring advise to listed companies, whether on ad-hoc projects or deals or aspects deriving from the obligations specific to such entities (regulated information, market abuse, etc.).
- Advice on corporate governance-related matters.
- Flotations, IPOs and secondary offerings.
- Debt issues and hybrid products.
- Mergers, acquisitions and, above all, tender offers.
- Financing transactions.
- Participation in various privatizations of public sectors and services.
Degree in Law from Universidad Complutense de Madrid (CEU San Pablo).
He has taught as a lecturer on the Master's Degree in Legal Advisory Services organized by Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE), the Master's Degree in Legal Advisory Services at Universidad CEU San Pablo, the Executive Master's Degree in Corporate Finance at Centro de Estudios Garrigues, and on the "Legal Advisor to Listed Companies" and "Securitizations" programs organized by Instituto de Empresa Law School Executive Education.
Member of the Madrid Bar Association.
The leading international directories have singled Javier Ybáñez out as one of Spain's most prestigious lawyers in his areas of expertise:
- Chambers Global. Spain. (Capital Markets).
- Chambers Europe. Spain. (Capital Markets).
- Best Lawyers. Spain. (Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and Structured Finance).
- PLC Which lawyer? Spain (Capital Markets and Securitization).
- Who's Who Legal (Capital Markets).
- Author of the chapter on "Tender Offers" in the book "Banking and Stock Market Law". Colex. 2012. Director: Fernando Zunzunegui.
- Co-author of the Spanish chapter of the book "International Survey of Investment Adviser Regulation". Wolters Kluwer. 2012. Editors: Marcia L. MacHarg & Kenneth.
- Co-author of the chapter on Spain in the book "Securities World - Jurisdictional comparisons". European Lawyer Reference. 2011. General Editor: Willem J L Calkoen.
- Co-author of the Spanish chapter of the book "The International Capital Markets Review". Law Business Research. 2011. Editor: Jeffrey Golden.
- Co-author of the article "New developments introduced by Royal Decree 716/2009 implementing the Mortgage Market Law 2/1981 and other provisions of the mortgage and financial system". Revista de Derecho del Mercado de Valores 5/2009.
- Co-author of the article "The new European ratings agencies regulations". Revista de Derecho del Mercado de Valores 5/2009.
- Author of the chapter on Spain in the book "World Stock Exchanges". A Practical Guide. Global Law and Business. 2007.
- Co-author of the chapter "The CMBS Market in Spain" - Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securitization". 2006. Thomson Sweet & Maxwell. Editor: Andrew V. Petersen.
- Author of the chapter on "The Process of admission to listing on stock markets and public offerings and subscription" in the collective work "The Listed Company". Marcial Pons. 2006. Coordinators: Fernando Vives and Javier Pérez-Ardá.
- Various newspaper articles (Expansión, Cinco Días) and other publications, noteworthy examples including the newsletters published in recent years in the online review International Law Office, contributing to the sections on Capital Markets and Securitization & Structured Finance.