Gaspar Atienza is a partner in the Corporate/Commercial Law practice of Garrigues, with a broad experience in the Banking & Finance area, having participated in all kind of national and international structured finance deals, acquisition finance, corporate finance and refinance transactions. He also has a broad experience in project finance, particularly in the energy and infrastructure sector. Gaspar has been advising clients in various matters in the corporate area, without losing his focus on the banking and finance practice. With a law degree from Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-1), Master in International Affairs (MIA) from Columbia University, New York, and a Visiting Doctoral Researcher at NYU, he is a PhD (cum laude) in International Public Law and International Relations from the Universidad Complutense of Madrid. Gaspar is a moderator of seminars and a Aspen España Fellow. He has been recognized by Chambers & Partners, IFLR, Best Lawyers and other legal rankings.
Gaspar Atienza es socio del departamento mercantil de Garrigues, firm where he has worked most of his professional career. In his activity he has worked in national and international transactions, including:
- Investment deals and acquisition finance of Spanish companies, for clients, banks and fonds national and international.
- Revolving finance, with hybrid structures and direct lending.
- Holco finance and finance to listed companies, corporate and asset back finance.
- Finance transactions with institutional banks and entities, European, in innovative sectors (venture debt), new products, etc.
- Transactions with European funds and multilateral entities.
- Project finance, including particularly energy and infrastructure, in Spain, Portugal and LATAM.
- Real Estate finance deals, of particular assets or portfolios, as well as NPLs.
- Complex multijurisdictional transactions in Spain and other jurisdictions, with other teams of lawyers.
- CESCE covered finance transactions.
- Degree in Law and Associate’s Degree in Business Studies, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-1).
- Master’s Degree in International Affairs (MIA), Columbia University (New York)
- Visiting Doctoral Researcher, New York University, (NYU)
- Doctor of Public International Law and International Relations, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (sobresaliente cum laude).
Gaspar was an IE associate professor from 2008 to 2013, where he taught courses and conferences in the Legal Master programs as well as in the Master of International Relations. He has also participated in other courses dedicated to finance transactions and project finance of various kinds (CEU, ESADE, Centro de Estudios).
Gaspar is a moderator of the Leadership and Values Seminar at Aspen Institute España and an Aspen España Fellow.
- Member of the Madrid Lawyer Association.
- Aspen España Fellow.
- DEA dissertation (“tesina”) published by CEU University (Working Document Number 28/2007) and in the Legal Magazine for the Universidad Autonóma de Madrid, in 2007 (number 15).
- Project finance for renewable energies, Cuadernos de Derecho y Comercio 51. June 2009.
- "Distress transactions in Spain", with María Gil-Robles, Juan Verdugo and Gonzalo García-Fuertes
- 2019 Yearly corporate book for lawyers: "Corporate finance with CESCE cover, the loss of the EURIBOR and legal opinion under CRR"