Executive Chairman and Managing Partner of Garrigues since September 2014.
Managing Partner of Garrigues since 2010.
Fernando Vives has more than thirty-five years’ experience at Garrigues and has been a partner since 1998.
Between 2001 and 2009 he headed Garrigues’ Corporate/Commercial Law practice, encompassing the securities market, financial services, real estate, competition and M&A areas.
He practices in the areas of securities market law, corporate law, M&A, private equity, banking & finance law and insurance law, with a particular emphasis on capital markets and financial services.
He specializes in major transactions involving mergers, reorganizations, tender offers, corporate LBOs, securities issues and public offerings, and regulatory matters concerning listed companies. He regularly advises on major M&A deals and is actively involved in private equity transactions, working on related tasks and on raising outside financing. He has a wealth of experience in the insurance industry, where he has advised numerous insurance groups operating in Spain.
He also acts as adviser to the shareholders’ meetings and boards of directors of some of the largest listed companies in Spain on corporate governance-related matters: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A., Iberdrola, S.A. and Telefónica, S.A., to name but a few.
Experience as board secretary to listed companies and associations:
- Board secretary of International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG), listed on the Spanish continuous market and the London Stock Exchange, from June 2010 to November 2013. It is the only Spanish company listed on both the Ibex-35 and the FTSE 100.
- Director and Board secretary of Asociación para el Progreso de la Dirección (APD) from 2013 to 2021.
- Board secretary of Prosegur Compañía de Seguridad from July 2005 to 2012.
Collaborations with public institutions:
- Member of the Corporate Governance Committee of Experts set up under a resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers on May 10, 2013 within the framework of the 2013 National Plan of Reforms to advise the Spanish government on the broadening of the current Good Corporate Governance framework in Spain.
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Spanish National Securities Market Commission, chosen by its Board as a renowned professional, since 2012. Re-appointed in 2016 and 2020.
- Fernando was a member of the working group appointed by a decision of the Spanish Accounting and Audit Institute (ICAC) on April 4, 2008 to prepare draft standards for the preparation of consolidated financial statements, which contributed to the final wording of Royal Decree 1159/2010, of September 17, 2010, approving Standards for the Preparation of Consolidated Financial Statements and amending the Spanish National Chart of Accounts approved by Royal Decree 1514/2007, of November 16, 2007, and the National Chart of Accounts for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises approved by Royal Decree 1515/2007, of November 16, 2007.
- Collaboration with the World Bank in the preparation of the Doing Business Report for Spain and Portugal since 2006, by responding to questionnaires on indicators in the different areas that provide an objective measurement of national laws on doing business, by gathering and analyzing in detail quantitative data that enable the regulatory frameworks of different jurisdictions to be compared.
- Member of the working group created pursuant to the Decision of September 22, 2005, of the Spanish Accounting and Audit Institute (ICAC), to create subgroups tasked with studying different matters, within the working group appointed to prepare a base document for the reform of the Spanish National Chart of Accounts. He formed part of subgroup 9 on business combinations, joint ventures and consolidation as a commercial law expert.
Other professional experience:
Independent director of Prosegur Compañía de Seguridad, a company listed on the Spanish continuous market since May 2012.
Recent transactions advised on:
- Lecturer in Commercial Law, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), since 2004.
- Chairman of the Garrigues-ICADE LegalTech & NewLaw Observatory since November 2020.
- Co-Director of the Garrigues-ICADE Chair for the Modernization of Corporate Law at Universidad Pontificia de Comillas from October 2011 to November 2013.
- Lecturer in Insurance Law, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 2005-2006 academic year.
- Lecturer on corporate governance, ESADE, from 2003 to 2010.
- Lecturer on management control, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), from 1989 to 1997.
- Lecturer on cost accounting, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 1988-1989 academic year.
- Work on the Proposal for the improvement and modernization of corporate law in Ecuador, as part of the Working Group of the Ibero-American Institute for Law and Finance (2019).
- Member of the judging panel for the 3rd Expansión Legal Awards for Excellence in Business Law Practice (2018).
- Member of the Committee of Experts in Corporate Law, Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho y Finanzas (2017).
- Member of the monitoring committee of the Joint Degree in Law and Management at Universidad Católica de Oporto – Faculty of Law - Escola do Porto and Católica Porto Business School (2017).
- Member of the judging panel for the 2nd Expansión Legal Awards for Excellence in Business Law Practice (2017).
- Member of the judging panel for the 8th ISDE International Legal Awards (2016).
- Member of the Business Academic Board of the Master’s Degree in Legal Counseling for Businesses at Universidad Carlos III, Madrid (2016).
- Member of the Governing Board of Asociación para el Progreso de la Dirección Internacional (APD).
- Corresponding member of the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation since 2014.
- Member of the Advisory Board of proyecto Cre100do since 2014.
- Member of Círculo de Empresarios (2014).
- Trustee of Fundación de Estudios Financieros, Fundación Create, Fundación Garrigues and Fundación Pro Real Academia de Jurisprudencia y Legislación.
- Trustee of the Princess of Girona Foundation since 2016. Patron, in representation of Garrigues, of the Princess of Asturias Foundation since 2010.
- Member of the Advisory Council of Revista de Derecho de Mercado de Valores since 2008.
- Member of the Center for Legal Research, Development and Innovation for Latin America (Group of 100), Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico), since 2008.
- Member of the Advisory Council of Club Empresarial ICADE since 2013.
- Second Deputy Chairman of the Madrid Business Forum, from April 2013 to December 31, 2014.
Madrid Bar Association.
Awards and accolades:
Full Member Elect to hold Medal No. 6 of the Spanish Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation.
Featured in the Merco Leaders ranking of the best valued business leaders in Spain.
Forbes. Most influential lawyers, 2018
Chambers Europe Awards. Outstanding contribution to the Legal Profession.
Forbes Awards. Best Managing Partner
Forbes. Most influential lawyers, 2017
Cross of Honor of the Order of St. Raymond of Penyafort.
Lawyer of the Year, 1stExpansión Legal Awards for excellence in business law practice.
ICADE Association. Consolidated Career Award.
Forbes Magazine: named most influential lawyer in Spain.
Corresponding member of the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation.
Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE): José María Ramón San Pedro” prize for the best doctoral thesis on issues relating to Business Economics and Law.
Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE): distinction for the best doctoral thesis of the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 academic year.
The most important directories have singled out Fernando Vives as one of the most prestigious lawyers in Spain in various categories.
Chambers Europe. Spain 2021 Edition
Star Individual: Corporate & M&A Spain
“Super lawyer” Fernando Vives draws considerable praise from interviewees, with one source naming him as "an expert with a good reputation."
Chambers Global. Spain 2021 Edition
- Star Individual: Corporate & M&A Spain
Euromoney Expert Guides 2021
- Best of the Best
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Private Equity
- Structured Finance and Securitization
Best Lawyers in Spain, 2021 Edition
- Banking and Finance Law
- Capital Markets Law
- Corporate and M&A Law
- Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice
- Insurance Law
- Private Equity Law
- Project Finance and Development Practice
The Legal 500. Spain, 2021 Edition
- Capital Markets equity – Hall of Fame
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Hall of Fame
IFLR 1000. Spain, 2021 Edition
- Capital Markets debt - Leading Lawyer Highly Regarded
- Capital Markets equity – Leading Lawyers Highly Regarded
- Mergers and Acquisitions - Leading Lawyer Highly Regarded
- Private Equity – Leading Lawyers Highly Regarded
Who´s who legal 2021
- Who’s Who Legal Corporate: Merger & Acquisition
- Who's Who Legal Corporate: Corporate Governance
Doctor of Law (Cum Laude), Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 2009. Doctoral thesis: Validity of LBOs under Spanish Law. Awarded a distinction for the best doctoral thesis of the 2008-2009 academic year and the “José María Ramón San Pedro” prize for the best doctoral thesis on issues relating to Business Economics and Law, 2011 by Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE)
Degree in Economics and Business Studies, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 1986.
Degree in Law, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 1985.
Fernando Vives has authored a great number of publications, including most notably the following:
Books published as author:
- “The challenging of corporate resolutions in the reform of corporate/commercial legislation” (*). Real Academia de Jurisprudencia y Legislación, 2014.
- “The preemptive subscription right and its disapplication at listed companies” (*) in collaboration with Álvaro López-Jorrín. Revista de Derecho del Mercado de Valores, 2010.
- “Public-to-private deals under Spanish tender offer rules” (*). Aranzadi, 2008.
Collective works edited/coordinated:
- “Legal manual for the banking market. Sources and regulation.” (*) for the collective work “Legal Handbook for Engineers” (*). La Ley, 2015.
- “Commercial Law Practice for Lawyers” (*). La Ley: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009.
- “Foundations of business law, Volume I” (*) ICADE, 1st edition 2012 and 2nd edition 2012.
- “Legal framework for business control transactions” (*). Co-editor. Fundación de Estudios Financieros, 2008.
- “Half a century of collective investment in Spain” (*). Fundación INVERCO, 2007.
- “The listed company” (*). Co-editor. Marcial Pons, 2006.
Recent articles in collective works:
“Directors’ duties” and “The purpose of companies and the long-term paradigm” for the collective work “Conflicts of Interest at Closed and Listed Commercial Companies” from the collection of the Garrigues Chair for the Modernization of Company Law at ICADE (February 2020).
“Human rights, sustainable development goals and corporate law” (*) for the collective work commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Real Academia de Jurisprudencia y Legislación, 2020.
“The purpose of companies and the long-term paradigm” (*), La Ley mercantil, 2019.
Prologue to the translation of “Anatomy of Corporate Law”. 2019.
“Directors’ duties in the area of compliance” (*) for the collective work “Corporate Defense and Compliance” (*), part of the Garrigues Collection. 2019.
- “The scope of the duty of diligence of company directors” (*)for the collective work “Company Law II”, 2018.
- “Commentaries on the Voluntary Jurisdiction Law” (*), Civitas 2016.
- “Corporate mergers” (*) and “Leveraged mergers (under article 35 of the Law on Structural Modifications to Commercial Companies)” (*) for the collective work “Manual on corporate mergers and acquisitions” (*). La Ley, 2016.
- “The Executive Committee” (*) for the collective work “Legal Handbook for Engineers” (*), La Ley, 2016.
- “Liability of trustees vis-à-vis the foundation and action for liability in the interests of the foundation” (*) for the collective work “Good Governance of Foundations” (*). Fundación Iberdrola España and La Ley, 2015
- “Corporate governance of credit institutions” (*) for the collective work “Legal manual for the banking market. Sources and regulation” (*). “Legal Handbook for Engineers” (*). La Ley, 2015.
- “Good governance recommendations vs. regulations in Latin America” (*), together with Ángel Pedro Domínguez, Sergio Rodríguez and Arnau Tapias for the collective work “Corporate Governance in Latin America” (*). Fundación Instituto Iberoamericano de Mercados de Valores, 2015.
- “Reporting and Corporate Governance” (*), together with Javier Ybañez for the collective work “Corporate Governance in Latin America” (*). Fundación Instituto Iberoamericano de Mercados de Valores, 2015.
- “The structure of the managing body and the status of directors at listed Latin American companies” (*), together with Pedro Portellano for the collective work “Corporate Governance in Latin America” (*). Fundación Instituto Iberoamericano de Mercados de Valores, 2015.
- “The Corporate Control Market in Latin America” (*), together with Camilo Gantiva for the collective work “Corporate Governance in Latin America” (*). Fundación Instituto Iberoamericano de Mercados de Valores, 2015.
Recent articles in journals or other periodic publications:
“Team Spirit” (*).Iberian Lawyer No. 84. May 2019.
“We all face a common challenge.” Fivehundred magazine (by Legal 500) (April 2019).
“M&A in Spain. Momentum”. Euromoney (2019).
- “Twenty years of corporate governance in Spain and ten challenges for the immediate future”. Euromoney (2018).
- “Challenge of corporate resolutions. Significant procedural defects: delimitation and standing to challenge” (*). Revista de Derecho Bancario y Bursátil, no. 147, 2017.
- “Executives and lawyers” (*). Revista APD | 60th Anniversary Special. November 2016.
- “Spain: A changing legal landscape”. Legal Business, 2016.
- “Doing Business 2015: Going beyond efficiency” (*). He contributed to the development of the Doing Business indicators.
- “Conflicts of interest between shareholders and the company in the reform of corporate legislation” (*). Revista de derecho bancario y bursátil. Thomson Reuters, Lex Nova, 2015.
- “Shareholder conflicts of interest in the reform of corporate legislation” (*). El Notario del Siglo XXI, 2015.
- Legal number one. Fuera de Serie EL MUNDO. August 2015.
- “Garrigues wants to invade Latin America” (*), Revista Expresso. December 2015.
- “The Companies Law. A useful and profitable reform” (*). APD, 2015.
(*) Originally written in Spanish. See Spanish version of CV for original titles.