Diego Harman is partner of Garrigues' Corporate Department, where his professional activity is focused on project finance, banking & finance, energy and infrastructure, capital markets and mergers & acquisitions. He has broad experience structuring project finance deals in Latin America, with a specialization in Project Bonds, Hybrid Financing, Structured Transactions and Securitizations, in addition to EPCs, O&M Agreements and PPP Contracts. His experience includes working at the project finance departments of global firms, based out of New York. Licensed in Law by the University of Lima and LL.M in Corporations Law from New York University. He has been recognized by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and IFLR.
He frequently advised investors and sponsors, investment and commercial banks, multilateral institutions and government agencies on banking and finance deals and on energy, infrastructure and transport mandates, participating in Peru's most significant banking, capital markets and M&A transactions.
Diego Harman is partner of Garrigues' Corporate Department since 2020, firm which he joined in 2017. Previously, he was a member of the LatAm project finance practice at DLA Piper (US) LLP (New York, 2013-2015) and a senior member of the LatAm project finance practice at Clifford Chance US LLP (New York, 2015-2017).
He has extensive experience in energy and infrastructure, project finance, corporate law, banking & finance, capital markets, public and private offerings, and structured transactions.
Diego provides ongoing advice on Peru's main energy and infrastructure projects, such as ports, airports, metros, toll roads, renewable projects and transmission lines, among others. In addition, he has experience advising lenders and borrowers on corporate financings, venture debt and acquisition finance.
He leads transactions and projects such as the financing of Chancay Port , the Lima Airport Expansion Project, Modenization of Salaverry Port, Line 2 of the Lima Metro, Punta Lomitas Wind Farm, Solarpack/Ardian Solar Parks, Marcona and Tres Hermanas Wind Farms, and Duna and Huambos Wind Farms.
He is fluent in Spanish and English.
He was a lecturer in the business planning course at the Law School of Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas from 2010 to 2012.
- Master of Law (LL.M.) with specialization in Corporations Law, New York University (2013).
- Specialization in the Fundamentals of Project and Infrastructure Financing, New York Institute of Finance (2012).
- Specialization in Financial Derivatives, Escuela de Negocios San Francisco Xavier (2009).
- Degree in Investment Law, Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (2008).
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Law School of Universidad de Lima (2007).
Diego is a frequent speaker at local and international conferences, including academic forums organized by university students and organizations. He has been invited by New York University to conferences in order to share his experience as an LL.M. student.
He has also held various teaching positions, including the following:
- Universidad de Lima, Professor of Project Finance (2023).
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas, Professor Business Planing and Investments (2010 – 2012).
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas / Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Teaching Assistant of Business Planning, Property Rights, Securities II, Property II, Corporate Law and Civil Law (2006 – 2010).
- Member of the Lima Bar Association.
- Member of Asociación para el Fomento de la Infraestructura Nacional - AFIN.
Diego has been ranked by the following legal directories:
- Chambers & Partners: Ranked in Banking & Finance, and Projects.
- IFLR1000: Ranked as a "Rising Star Partner" in Banking y M&A.
- Legal500: Ranked as a "Next Generation Partner" in Banking & Finance, and Projects and Infrastructure.
- IFLR1000: "Garrigues hires Latam project finance lawyer" (2017).
- "Armando el Rompecabezas del Project Finance", Enfoque Derecho Blog (2019).
- "Bonos de Proyecto", Enfoque Derecho Blog (2019).
- "Modelo Peruano de Financiamiento de Infraestructura", Enfoque Derecho Blog (2016).
- "Private Placements", Enfoque Derecho Blog (2019).
- "Aspectos teóricos y prácticos de las asociaciones público privadas en el Perú", co-author, Libro publicado por ECB Ediciones (2012).
- “Comentarios a los modelos de contratos de concesión para la construcción y mantenimiento de infraestructura de servicios públicos en el Perú y que afectan la obtención del financiamiento”, co-author, Advocatus Law Review, no. 22 (2010).