Our Criminal Law and Internal Investigations practice has more than 25 years’ experience and is recognized both in Spain and internationally as a leader in the resolution of disputes in all branches of criminal law.
Garrigues has the largest team of criminal lawyers in Spain and one of the biggest in the world. Our professionals include seasoned litigators with decades of proven experience as private defense lawyers and respected former public prosecutors. The team is renowned for its tailored advice and ability to resolve the most complex, high-profile and sensitive cases, drawing on its proven experience and exploring highly innovative solutions adapted to each client.
We are experts in the prosecution and defence of natural and legal persons for any business-related offences in criminal proceedings, in providing comprehensive and custom advisory services on corporate compliance and management of internal investigations, as well as in providing legal guidance in the course of audits and investigations by international regulatory bodies.
Our regular clients include the leading multinationals and companies on the Spanish IBEX-35, as well as directors, executives and top-tier professionals from different jurisdictions and business sectors.
Our criminal law services
- Legal contingencies, identifying the criminal risks associated with the industry, sector and activities of each client, and developing mitigation measures to deter the commencement of criminal proceedings or ensure the best defense.
- Criminal defense and prosecution of individuals and legal entities for any offense, in all types of proceedings and at all instances before the main courts and tribunals.
- Extradition proceedings, European arrest warrants and INTERPOL red notices, international legal assistance procedures (enforcement of judgments, location and recovery of assets, letters rogatory, etc.).
- Organization and management models to prevent corporate crimes and reinforce ethical business culture.
- Measures to prevent, detect, react to and manage any crime risks identified in the company’s activities: codes, policies, procedures, whistleblowing channels and reporting processes, disciplinary measures, evidence-based design and compliance indicators, etc.
- Regular verification and updating of corporate compliance systems.
- Processes for alignment and certification of compliance systems in accordance with internationally recognized compliance standards.
- Compliance training for employees and managers.
- Criminal liability risk management for legal entities.
- Internal investigations with implications in multiple jurisdictions and management of the associated risks.
- Legal defense in relation to crime risks deriving from investigations, audits and proceedings conducted by government agencies, regulators, and financial bodies and institutions.
- Legal defense in relation to anti-money laundering and anti-corruption legislation at companies present in multiple jurisdictions, as well as in the course of parliamentary investigations before different bodies and committees.