International Arbitration Newsletter - October 2021
In April 2021, an opinion of the Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) was issued in a case expected to become a milestone for intra-EU investor-state arbitration. While many had hoped that there would be a place for arbitration in the EU under certain conditions, those hopes were dashed by the Court's latest ruling.
- Argentina. Italian company seeks to enforce 7-year old award
- Panama. Canadian mining company threatens ICSID arbitration
- France. France's Eutelsat loses the battle against Mexico
- Italy. ICC award overcomes challenge before the Italian Courts
- Spain. Spain now facing 50 renewable claims
- Russia. Russia strives to set aside Yukos award in Switzerland
- Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia achieves first win at ICSID
- Ethiopía. Egyptian investors threaten claims over Tigray civil war
- Republic of the Congo. Australian mining company brings claims against Congo
- Algeria. Spanish company threatens investment claim over venture expropiation
- Lebanon. Franco-Lebanese joint venture wins fraud claims against Lebanese bank
- Australia. Australian Court upholds application to revoke award
- South Korea. Samsung heavy industries settles ICC arbitration in gas platform dispute
- Carlos de los Santos (Madrid) and Joe Tirado (London) have been acknowledged once again in the prestigious The Legal500 Hall of Fame which highlights the top arbitration practitioners who have received constant praise from their clients for continued excellence and who are at the pinnacle of the profession.
- As part of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) Investment Mediation Insights webinar series Joe Tirado (London) spoke on Investment Mediation and Arbitration—Combination or Separation? on 27 October 2021.