Israel García is a partner in Garrigues' commercial law department and head of the Valencia office. He specialises in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate and project finance, and corporate restructuring, participating in numerous private equity transactions in the agri-food, biopharmaceutical and aeronautical sectors, among others. He also has extensive experience in advising multinational corporations. In this sense, he is Secretary of the Board or Legal Advisor of several companies. He is also highly specialised in the law and practice area of energy, working in this field with numerous operators in all stages of the value chain of the renewable energy sector. He coordinates in the Levante area the Start-ups & Opening Innovation line of the Firm, having participated in numerous events and presentations. He is also a member of Garrigues' ESG Committee. He holds a degree in Law and Business Administration from the Universidad Pontifica Comillas (ICADE E-3). He has been recognised in the directories of Iberian Lawyer and Best Lawyers.
Israel García is a partner in the commercial law department of Garrigues, the firm where he has developed his professional career. He joined the firm in 1999. He was promoted to senior associate in 2004 and has been a partner since 2011.
His professional activity focuses mainly on the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A), leading numerous operations of purchase and sale of companies and businesses, under different structures, in very different sectors, such as, by way of example, agri-food, veterinary, maritime transport, aeronautics and telecommunications. In these transactions, he coordinates both the multidisciplinary due diligence teams and the drafting, negotiation and closing of the various contracts involved in this type of transactions (framework agreements, contracts for the purchase and sale of shares, businesses, assets and liabilities, shareholders' agreements, guarantee contracts, etc.).
- Project finance and corporate finance, with a focus on renewable energy and industrial facilities' implementation projects.
- Corporate restructuring of multinational corporate groups, having been involved in the structuring and execution of cross-border mergers and demergers, as well as in processes of integration of groups of companies on a European scale.
- Recurrent corporate and contractual advice, being Secretary of the Board of Directors and Legal Advisor to numerous companies.
Throughout his professional career, he has accumulated extensive experience in the following areas:
- Agribusiness and primary sector, having managed in recent years the advice of purchase and sale operations of agricultural companies (production and marketing of citrus, almond, olive and pistachio), fish farming and the poultry sector.
- Renewable energies, with involvement in large-scale photovoltaic, wind and solar thermal energy projects and the implementation of green hydrogen projects, being involved in turnkey construction and operation and maintenance contracts, transport and purchase and sale of electricity, and advice to equipment and ancillary industries.
- Veterinary, advising one of the main business groups focused on this activity in Spain.
- Aeronautical, managing from a legal point of view the establishment in Spain of an aeronautical manufacturer operating on a global scale.
- Clinical testing and agri-food and environmental analysis, providing recurring advice to one of the main European groups.
He is a member of Garrigues' ESG Committee, as well as of the firm's Start-ups & opening Innovation, Energy, Pharma & Life Sciences, Sports & Entertainment, and Hospitality & Leisure desks.
He serves on an altruistic and voluntary basis as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the American School of Valencia (Colegio Hispano Norteamericano).
Fluent in English.
Degree in Law and in Economics and Business Studies (Universidad Pontificia Comillas – ICADE E-3).
He has lectured at various university and academic institutions, such as Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, where he was an associate lecturer in Commercial Law; Fundación Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles; Federación de Cajas Rurales; and Bioval (Bioregion of the Valencian Community). He has also coordinated and taught in various Executive Programmes offered by Centro de Estudios Garrigues in conjunction with Harvard University.
Member of the Madrid Bar Association.
He is listed in the Best Lawyers directory, in the categories "Corporate and M&A" and "Energy". The selection by Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive and rigorous survey and confidential evaluation among a very large number of professionals.
He was awarded in 2015 with the "40 under Forty" prize by Iberian Lawyer, an award that recognises the forty best lawyers in Spain and Portugal under the age of forty.
He is co-author of the following books and manuals:
- "Corporate Business Forms in Europe", published by Sellier German Publishing House.
- "La colaboración público-privada en la Ley de Contratos del Sector Público" (original published in Spanish), published by Editorial La Ley.
He has also participated as a speaker at numerous seminars and conferences on renewable energies, restructuring, legislation on late payments, start-ups and protection of biotechnological inventions, both at the Firm and at different associations and specialised centres: Polytechnic University of Valencia, Aspack (National Association of Manufacturers of Packaging, Packaging and Cardboard Transformed Products), Federation of Hotels of the Valencian Community, Valencian Federation of Construction Entrepreneurs, etc.