Jaime is the head of the Bogotá and Mexico City offices and co-head of the Brazilian Desk.
He is a member of the Litigation and Arbitration Department, where he specializes in the resolution of disputes with a strong cross-border/international component, through arbitration and other dispute resolution mechanisms.
Furthermore, given his long track record in Latin America, he has provided assistance and advice on the establishment and growth of a wide range of companies and projects in the region in very diverse sectors, as well as to Latin American companies setting up in Europe.
Jaime has amassed a wealth of international arbitration-related experience, having acted in numerous ad hoc arbitration proceedings administered by institutions such as the Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Court of Arbitration of the Madrid Chamber of Commerce (CAM), the Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce, the Zurich Chamber of Commerce, the Spanish Court of Arbitration, the Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration (CIMA), among others, involving laws applicable in myriad jurisdictions (Spanish, Brazilian, Swiss, Argentinean, etc.) and very different seats of arbitration (Madrid, Paris, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Sao Paulo, Barcelona, etc.).
His main areas of expertise are large construction or industrial projects, the energy and automobile industries, distribution and agency agreements and company sale and purchase agreements.
- Law Degree, Universidad de La Coruña.
- Master’s Degree in Maritime Law and Business, Universidad Pontificia de Comillas.
- LLM Master in Maritime Law and Affairs. University of Wales, College of Cardiff.
- M.Phil (DEA) from Universidad de La Coruña.
- Anglo-American Law, Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
He has taught classes as a guest lecturer at Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universidad de La Coruña and Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
He is a regular speaker in seminars and conferences organized by the firm and various specialist centers and associations.
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association.
- Member of the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA).
- Member of the International Chamber of Commerce (México).
Highlighted by the publication Best Lawyers in Spain in the areas of Litigation and Arbitration and Mediation.
Author and co-author of various books and articles:
- Chapter on Spain in the collective work “Overview of Class Action in Latin American Law” (*), Affinitas 2008.
- “International Arbitration under the European Energy Charter: channels for foreign investors” (*), Cuadernos de Energía, no. 30, January 2011.
- “Lawyers and New ADR Methods in the Civil and Commercial Jurisdiction” (*) in the collective work published in 2011 by Civitas-Thomson Reuters, “Challenges of the Legal Profession in a Global Society”.
- “The Most Significant Litigation and Arbitration Cases in 2011 at the Major Firms” (*), a collective work published by La Ley, Wolters Kluwer group, 2012.
- “International & Comparative Competition Litigation”, a collective work published by Kluwer International, 2012.
- “Brazil adopts “The Territorial Approach” in its first judgment related to the recognition of an annulled international award”, Diritto dell Commercio Internazionale, Anno XXX, Fasc. 2, 2016.
(*) originally published in Spanish. See Spanish CV for more information.