Eduardo Bernal is a senior associate at Garrigues in China, where he specialises in cross-border advice and foreign direct investment in China and Spain. He has extensive experience in data protection, with a national and international focus. He also provides recurring advice on commercial contracts and general corporate advice to companies and corporate groups on commercial, civil and corporate law matters.
Prior to his move to Garrigues' China office in 2016, Eduardo began his professional career in the commercial department of Garrigues' Murcia office.
Eduardo has been ranked as a Rising Star for two consecutive years (2021 and 2022) by the IFRL 1000 directory and he is a "Certified Information Privacy Professional" by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP CIPP/E).
He is a member of the Murcia Bar Association.
In his professional activity, Eduardo is recurrently involved in highly complex projects and advice, including:
- Advising on cross-border M&A transactions, including due diligence processes as well as the negotiation and drafting of equity transfer and/or asset purchase agreements.
- Advising on projects for the establishment of foreign companies in China.
- Advising on special transactions including corporate restructurings or corporate financings.
- Advising on infrastructure projects, E.P.C., financial transactions and project finance.
He also advises on international contracting issues including, among others, technology transfer, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, supply agreements and intra-group agreements. He also advises on China's direct investment abroad and provides recurrent advice on the day-to-day activities of companies.
Finally, he also provides advise on data protection matters, both in implementation projects, revision and adaptation to the applicable regulations in China.
- Degree in Law, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE) (2007-2012).
- Associate’s Degree in Business studies, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE) (2007-2012).
- Master´s Degree in Advanced and Specialized Law Research, Universidad de Murcia (2013). Published the article: “The securitization process at Spanish Economy”.
- Executive course in Business Law, Harvard University and Centro de Estudios Garrigues (2013-2014).
- Bar Association No. 6863 Murcia (ICAMUR).
- IAPP CIPP/E.
IFRL 1000: Rising Star (2021 & 2022).
- Regular contributor to Fundación Consejo España China, to the Chinese publication aimed at foreign investors Tianjin Business Magazine, and to Garrigues News.
- 10 questions and answers on China's Foreign Investment Law (June 2022, Fundación Consejo España China).
- 10 points to understand China's new Data Security Law (March 2022, Fundación Consejo España China).
- New legal framework for foreign invested enterprises in China (January 2022, Tianjin Business Magazine).
- New data protection regulation in China (January 2022, Tianjin Business Magazine).