Alejandro Padín is a partner and heads the Data Economy, Privacy and Cybersecurity practice at Garrigues, providing an expert and practical approach to technology law, data protection and cybersecurity. His vast national and international experience allows him to efficiently advise on the legal aspects of technology, with a comprehensive vision that ranges from guidance to litigation.
He has been invited as an expert by the Spanish Parliament (Congreso de los Diputados) during the passing of the Constitutional Law 3/2018 on Personal Data Protection and guarantee of digital rights (Data Protection Act) and has also advised on other international legislative processes in cybersecurity matters, evidencing his commitment and ability to handle matters of great complexity and his capacity for institutional representation and contribution of strategic knowledge.
In addition to guiding clients in the matters of his speciality, Alejandro Padín has demonstrated a remarkable ability to lead legal responses to critical cyber-incidents with application of European regulations.
He is a regular lecturer and author of works on Data Protection and Technology Law.
Partner of the Commercial Law Department of GARRIGUES in the Madrid office, where he is responsible for the area of Data Economy, Privacy and Cybersecurity. He has extensive experience in Telecommunications Law, Technology, Data Protection and Cybersecurity, with a national and international focus. In his experience he has accumulated a deep hands-on knowledge of technology applied to various sectors, with a vision from the commercial (contractual and corporate), privacy and litigation sides.
He has advised on the regulatory and data protection aspects of the launch of several MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators); he has also advised clients from various sectors on data protection matters, both in implementation, review, auditing and sanctioning procedures. He has extensive experience in e-commerce procurement, software, digital content and new technologies, both domestically and internationally.
He has participated as a speaker invited by the Justice Committee of the Congress of Deputies in the parliamentary process of the Constitutional Law 3/2018 on the Protection of Personal Data and guarantee of digital rights (Data Protection Act). He has also advised the Parliament of Ecuador during the processing of its cybersecurity laws between 2021 and 2023.
Prior to joining Garrigues in 2008, he worked as an in-house lawyer for more than 12 years, eight of them as manager of the legal department at the cable telecommunications operator R, where he participated in project finance transactions, managed the regulatory area and participated in the design and structuring of new products and services related to new technologies, e-commerce and convergence, representing the company in various industry associations.
Member of the Madrid and Santiago de Compostela Bar Associations.
Fluent in English and can interact in Portuguese and read French and Russian.
He is the Data Protection Officer at Garrigues
- Graduate in Law from the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1993.
- Postgraduate degree in European Union from the University of La Coruña (1994-95), with a dissertation on public aid to companies and competition law.
- Master's Degree in Business Management in the ICT sector (MDTIC) at the Caixanova Business School (2004-2005).
- Director. Online Executive Programme for Data Protection Officers. Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
- Associate Professor. Master's Degree in Access to the Legal Profession and Master's Degree in Legal Business Analytics and Legaltech, ICADE (Comillas).
- Professor of legal regulation of telecommunications and technology law. Degree in Telecommunications Engineering, ICAI (Comillas).
- Professor of Commercial Law and Telecommunications Law, New Technologies and Data Protection, Legal Practice School, Master's Degree in Access to the Legal Profession, University of Santiago de Compostela (2000-2016).
- Regular lecturer and speaker on digital transformation, technology law, data protection and cybersecurity at the Centro de Estudios Garrigues, CEU and in numerous specialised forums.
- ENATIC. Spanish Association of ICT lawyers.
- APEP. Spanish Association of Privacy Professionals.
- IAPP. International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- FIDE. Co-Director of the Privacy Working Group.
- Chambers - TMT/Privacy: Band 1, 2022/2023.
- Legal 500 - Data Protection: Tier 1, 2022/2023.
- Best Lawyers 2016 to 2023.
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year in Technology Law 2022.
- Co-author. "Data Protection and Privacy" - International Series, Sweet & Maxwell - Thomson Reuters, 2016.
- Co-author. "Adapting to the new data protection framework after the GDPR and the LOPDGDD" - WK, 2018.
- Co-author. "Distress Transactions in Spain" - Thomson Reuters ARANZADI, 2019.
- Co-author. "Corporate Defence and Compliance" - Thomson Reuters ARANZADI, 2019.
- Co-author. "Law of Truth", chapter "The truth and blockchain" - Tirant lo Blanch, 2021 (https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/libro?codigo=865426).
Numerous articles in specialised and generalist newspapers and magazines: Actualidad Jurídica Aranzadi, La Ley, Expansión, Empresario (CEOE), CEHAT magazine, Anuario Ciberseguridad AON.