Xabier Urtiaga Valle is a partner in the Corporate Department of Garrigues. Xabier has extensive experience in advising in the area of Banking and Finance law, participating in all kinds of financing, refinancing and restructuring transactions, with particular emphasis on his extensive and in-depth knowledge of real estate finance. He also advises clients on a regular basis in various areas of commercial law, which has allowed him, without losing his specialisation in the financial sector, to have a broad vision of the whole range of commercial transactions. In this regard, he participates in advising on M&A transactions, as well as in the sale and divestment of NPL and REO portfolios. He holds a law degree and a Master's degree in Business Law. In addition to Spanish and English, he is fluent in French.
Xabier Urtiaga Valle has been a partner in the Commercial Department of Garrigues since 2019, having joined the firm in 2007. In his professional activity he has participated in highly complex transactions, including, among others:
Financing and refinancing transactions
- Advising on the refinancing of Fluidra's financial debt.
- Advising a syndicate of financing entities on the corporate financing of Lazora.
- Advising a syndicate of financing funds on the refinancing of Grupo Prisa's financial debt.
- Advising Alsea, S.A. de C.V. on the financing of the acquisition of Grupo Vips and refinancing of its financial debt.
- Advising La Sociedad General Inmobiliaria de España - one of the largest shopping centre operators in Spain - on the acquisition, construction and refinancing of multiple shopping centres.
- Advising CVC on the sale of Grupo Zena.
- Advising Alsea, S.A.B de C.V. on the acquisition of Grupo Vips.
- Advising SAREB on the incorporation of FAB Arqura Homes and the sale of a stake in said FAB to Värde Partnes.
- Advising Alsea, S.A.B. de C.V. and Alia Capital Partners on Bain Capital's investment in Alsea Europa.
Transactions in the sale and purchase of the portfolio of debt
- Advising ASAREB on the sale of a mortgage loan portfolio to Deustche Bank in the so-called "Abacus Project".
- Advising Banco Santander on the sale of a portfolio of financing operations and financial derivatives to RBS.
- Advising ASAREB on the sale of a mortgage loan portfolio to Deustche Bank in the so-called "Inés Project".
Degree in Law, Universidad de Deusto (2000-2005).
Master’s in Business Law, Centro de Estudios Garrigues (2006-2007).
Member of the Madrid Bar Association.
Xabier Urtiaga ha sido reconocido en Legal 500 como "Next Generation Partner" y "Key Lawyer".