Sergio is Partner and Head of the M&A department, and Partner of the Project Finance and Infrastructure department at Garrigues, Lima. Sergio has extensive experience in M&A, as well as in financing and structuring financing transactions (including project finance, corporate finance, etc.). His work has been recognized by publications such as Chambers & Partners (Band 1 in M&A, Band 2 in Capital Markets and Band 3 en financing and projects), WWL (WWL Thought Leader M&A and Governance 2023), Legal 500, Leaders League, Latin Lawyer and IFLR.
Prior to joining Garrigues, he was Partner at Rubio Leguia Normand, deputy director at ProInversión, and an associate at Simpson Thacher & Barlett (New York). He is a member of the Lima Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association. In the academic field, he has taught Mergers & Acquisitions in several universities and programs.
Sergio has a degree in law (Summa Cum Laude) from Universidad de Lima (2003) (first in class) and a master of laws (LLM) from Harvard University (2007).
Partner at Garrigues since 2014.
Member of Garrigues ESG Commitee.
He was Partner at Rubio Leguia Normand, deputy director at ProInversión, and an associate at Simpson Thacher & Barlett (New York).
Sergio has participated in landmark tranasactions, such as:
- Sale by Grupo Romero of Ransa Comercial S.A. and its logistics business in the region, advising sellers.
- Sale by Corporación America Airports of its stake in Aeropuertos Andindos del Perú, advising sellers.
- Acquisition by Grupo Quirón Salud of relevant stake in Administradora Clínica Ricardo Palma, advising buyer.
- Acquistion of 99.96% of San Miguel Industrias PET and subsidiaries, advising buyer.Loan for the amount of US$1 billion to Eckerd Perú (InRetail Pharma) from Citibank, JP Morgan and Credit Suisse to finance the acquisition of Quicorp, advising the lenders (Leveraged Finance Deal of the Year, Bonds & Loans Latin America).
- US$ 330 million credit facility granted by The Bank of Nova Scotia and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation to Samay I S.A., advising the lenders
- IPO of over US$400 million in shares on the Lima Stock Exchange by InRetail Perú, advising JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup and BTG Pactual as Placement Agents.
- Issuance by Citibank, N.A., as depositary of Rule 144A/Reg S Global Depositary Notes representing S/927 million in Bonos Corporativos issued by Fondo MiVivienda, advising Scotia Capital and Morgan Stanley, as Initial Purchasers.
- Public offering of approximately 9 million common shares of IFS, offered by IFS, Interbank, Intercorp Perú Ltd. and un unaffiliated third party. Concurrently with the public offering, an offer-for sale directed exclusively to institutional investors was conducted subject to a book building auction process through the Lima Stock Exchange, advising IFS.
Degree in law (Summa Cum Laude) from Universidad de Lima (2003) (first in class).
Master of laws (LLM) from Harvard University (2007).
In the academic field, he has taught Mergers & Acquisitions in several universities and programs, including the Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas and the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
Lima Bar Association (2004)
New York State Bar Association (2008).
Former member of the legal committee of Latin American Venture Capital Association (2013-2014).
Former director and honorary memebr of de ADV Editores, assoication that publishes Advocatus, legal review.
Sergio work has been recognized by publications such as Chambers & Partners, WWL , Legal 500, Leaders League, Latin Lawyer and IFLR. Recognitions include
- Chambers & Partners 2023 (Band 1 in M&A, Band 2 in Capital Markets, and Band en in financing and projects).
"He is one of the best lawyers in the country when it comes to technical knowledge, analysis and commercial awareness. He understands the impact his advice has on the business." Another impressed client enthuses: "In difficult and long-term negotiations he does not lower his guard; on the contrary, he is proactive in seeking solutions to move the deal forward." "He is a very creative and practical lawyer who is always proposing innovative solutions to our issues."
- WWL Thought Leader M&A and Governance 2023.
- “Attorney of the Year - M&A” at the Latin American Lawyer Energy & Infrastructure Awards (2019).
- Latin American Corporate Counsel Association Appproved in Corporate and M&A, Banking & finance and Capital markets.
- Euromoney Rising Star 2016 - 2018 for M&A.
- Nominated in 2018 by Euromoney for leading corporate lawyers of the Americas.
Sergio frequently publishes legal articles. Key publications include:
- Author of a chapter in the book : Comments to the Business Law. Jurista Editores (August 2019).
- M&A Practical considerations in connection with corruption acts. Fusiones y Adquisiciones, by Instituto Pacífico S.A.C. (2018).
- Practical considerations in connection with indemnity regime in share purchase agreements. Fusiones y Adquisiciones, by Instituto Pacífico S.A.C. (2015).
- Civil consequences in connection with omissions or inexactitudes in tender offer prospectus (Consecuencias civiles por inexactitudes u omisiones del prospecto informativo de Oferta Pública de Adquisición). Foro de Derecho Mercantil. No. 10 (2006) and Revista de Derecho de la Empresa de la Universidad Adolfo Ibañez No. 7 (2006).
- Protecting the assets of an insolvent debtor: application of comity principle in the United States of America (Protegiendo los Activos del Deudor Concursal: la aplicación del principio de cortesía internacional en los Estados Unidos). “Advocatus” No. 10, 2004-I (2004).