Óscar de Santiago is a partner of Garrigues and co-head of the firm’s Catalonia, Aragon and Balearic Islands area practice. He is also the head of the area’s Corporate/Commercial Law department. With more than 25 years’ experience in corporate/commercial law practice, his main area of expertise is real estate law, both on the more traditional side, taking in sale and purchase, construction and lease transactions, and in more finance-related aspects, including debt portfolio trades, real estate financing for banks and alternative lenders (direct lending), special situations and corporate investments via the acquisition of equity interests and/or under mezzanine arrangements in joint ventures. He has participated in major transactions in all sectors of the real estate industry in Spain, such as residential (build-to-rent and co-living), offices (sale & leaseback) and co-working spaces, retail, logistics, hotels, hospital and life science, student residences and senior residences.
Oscar has been a partner in the Corporate/Commercial Law and Real Estate Departments of Garrigues since 2005, having joined the firm in 1999. He advises domestic and foreign clients on the acquisition, management and disposal of real estate assets. In particular, some of his recent transactions include deals involving large asset portfolios or packages (direct acquisition or via debt of office buildings, shopping malls and logistics facilities, and the disposal/acquisition of major packages of branches under sale & leaseback arrangements). On the financing front, he has participated in the arrangement and modification of mortgage loans, syndicated loans and, in particular, refinancing processes involving some of the largest real estate companies in the country. Recent transactions also include advice on real estate and regulatory matters to both financial institutions and investors in the creation and establishment of vehicles for the transfer and management of large asset and loan portfolios, as well as advice to international investors on the acquisition of holdings or debt transactions involving the real estate companies of financial institutions.
Oscar has participated in various seminars and conferences:
- “La compra de inmuebles mediante la compra de sociedades” (Share Deal vs Asset Deal), as part of the Real Estate Forum organized by Universidad de La Salle on June 14, 2005.
- “Aspectos legales e inmobiliarios de la inversión en países del este de Europa (Polonia, Hungría, República Checa y Rumanía)” (Legal and Real Estate Aspects of Investment in Eastern Europe - Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Romania), Barcelona Meeting Point, October 27, 2005.
- “Nuevas estructuras de promoción e inversión. Aspectos jurídicos relevantes en el ámbito de la contratación” (New Development and Investment Structures. Relevant Legal Aspects of Contracts), Real Estate Law seminars organized by Garrigues, May 2005.
- “Aspectos legales a considerar en operaciones de financiación inmobiliaria dentro del marco de Financiación en Inmobiliarias” (Legal Aspects to be Considered in Real Estate Funding Transactions), organized by Directivos Construcción, March 2003.
- “Inversiones inmobiliarias en los países de la Europa del Este: problemática legal de los diferentes destinos de inversión: comparativa.” (Real Estate Investments in Eastern European Countries: A Comparative View of the Legal Problems Associated with the Different Investment Destinations), as part of the seminar on investment opportunities in Eastern Europe organized by Intereconomía, April 20, 2006.
- Speaker: “Real Estate Investment in Spain: Financing Alternatives and Structures in Credit Crunch”, 4th edition of the Real Estate Investment Conference organized by the International Bar Association (IBA), Barcelona, April 26-27, 2012.
- Speaker: “Reestructuración de las cajas ¿por qué y cómo?” (The Whys and Hows of the Restructuring of Spanish Savings Banks), at the conference organized by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) in Barcelona on March 17, 2011, taking part in the round table alongside Jaume Guardiola, CEO of Banco Sabadell and Santiago Pernías, Bank of Spain inspector.
- Moderator at the event organized by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) in Barcelona on April 24, 2013 on “The Reform of the Urban Leasehold Law. Challenges and Opportunities”, including speakers Concha Osácar, Chairwoman of Grupo Azora and Dolores Aguado Fernández (Subdirector general of land policy at the Ministry of Development).
- Speaker at the conference organized by The District in Barcelona on October 19, 2022 on “Tertiary Space: New Procedures and Tools in Due Diligence Process & Data Room”.
- Degree in Law, Universidad de Barcelona, 1991.
- Postgraduate in Commercial and Common Law, University of Essex (UK), 1992.
- Master’s Degree in Property and Financial Law, Universidad de Barcelona, 1994-1995.
He currently coordinates and is a lecturer on the Real Estate module of the Master’s Degree in International Business Law at ESADE, and lectures on the Real Estate Investments and Management module of the MBA at IESE. He was an associate lecturer at Universitat Pompeu Fabra from 1996 to 2014 on the civil and commercial contracts internship program.
Member of the Barcelona Bar Association. Member no. 19,655
Recognised by Chambers & Partners as leading lawyer in real estate practice since 2007 edition
- “Sale and Management-Back”. Via Hotel, October 2006.
- “SAREB and FABs: A First Look Behind the Acronyms”. Financier Worldwide Magazine, June 2013.
- “Tirar el dinero” (Throwing Money Away). La Vanguardia, 2014.
- “Hacer brotar aguas de las piedras” (Wringing Water Out of a Stone). Expansión, June 2020.
- Construction Law & Practice. Thomson Reuters 2016.