José Luis Ortín Romero started his career at Garrigues and is a partner of the Corporate Law department since 2017. His areas of expertise are Corporate/M&A and Private Equity. He is a member of the team coordinating the global Garrigues private equity practice and co-leads the areas of infrastructure and start-ups & open innovation. Given his dual-qualfication and international education – LLM from Columbia University (James Kent Scholar) and admitted to the New York Bar since 2011 – José Luis benefits from extensive experience in cross-border M&A transactions and fundraising processes, advising both Spanish sponsors and listed corporations in their investments in other jurisdictions and national and international sponsors and private equity funds in their investments and fundraising processes in Spain. He holds a double degree in Law and Business Management from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE E-3) and lectures transactional law in various academic institutions. He is regularly recognized in the most prominent legal directories for his work in Corporate/M&A and Private Equity.
José Luis Ortín Romero started his career at Garrigues as an intern in 2004. He is a partner in the Corporate Law practice since 2017. Before his incorporation to Garrigues, he staged as intern at the Cologne (Germany) office of Linklaters Öppenhoff & Radler.
During his professional career, he has been involved in multiple M&A, private equity, venture capital, acquisition finance, project finance and fundraising transactions, advising Spanish and international clients from a wide array of sectors, including, among others, energy, IT/TMT, financial services, food&beverages, logistics and infrastructure. José Luis is specialized in the private equity industry, advising on a regular basis both national and international top-tier sponsors in their equity and debt investments in Spain (buyouts, infraestructures, plataform build-ups, joint ventures, etc.). He is also a regular advisor to private equity investors and sponsors in fundraising matters and secondary market investments.
As a result of his training in common law and international background (LL.M and member of the NY Bar Association since 2011), he has gained extensive experience advising MNEs and global financial groups in cross-border transactions. Additionally, he serves as non-director secretary or deputy secretary to the board of directors of several Spanish companies and has served as secretary in 2 non-profit foundations.
José Luis is a member of the team in charge of global coordination of the private equity industry within Garrigues global practice and co-heads the infrastructure and start-ups and open innovation groups.
- Master of Laws (LL.M), from the Columbia University School of Law (New York), graduating with the highest distinction (James Kent Scholar)
- J.S.D courses in Corporate Law, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- Degrees in Law and Business Management and Administration, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-3).
Between 2012 and 2017, he was an associate lecturer at Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), in charge of “International Business Transactions” lecture as part of the Law degree (E-1). He is a regular contributor to the programs developed by the university.
He is part of the faculty of the digital masters degree on private equity by the Spanish Private Equity Institute (INCARI)
He is a regular lecturer at Centro de Estudios Garrigues, participating in seminars and masters programs including courses on “Drafting International Contracts” or “International M&A”.
Since 2017, he coordinates the global internal training program for incoming junior lawyers.
- Member of the Madrid and New York (USA) bar associations.
- Active member of SpainCAP (Spanish Private Equity and Venture Capital Association).
- Member of Club Empresarial ICADE (having been awarded the First Club Empresarial ICADE Prize in 2005).
IFLR 1000 - Notable Practitioner in the areas of Corporate/M&A and Capital Markets: Debt.
Legal 500 - key individual at Garrigues in the area of Corporate/M&A.
In 2017 he was awarded the “40 under 40” Award (Iberian Lawyer), recognizing the 40 most prominent lawyers under the age of 40 in Spain and Portugal.
He is recognized by Best Lawyers for his activity in Corporate/M&A, Private Equity and Energy.
- “Transaction Costs Engineering: collaboration between the company lawyer and the business transactions lawyer as the key to success in corporate transactions”(*) in C. Carretero González (Dir.), et al, Retos de la abogacía ante la sociedad global, Civitas and Universidad Pontificia Comillas, Madrid, January 2012.
- Co-author of the 7th and 8th Edition of the chapter "Spain - Fundrasing" of "The Private Equity Review", edited by The Law Reviews.
(*) originally published in Spanish. See Spanish CV for more information.