+34 91 514 52 00
Registered lawyer nº 81618
I. Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
Juan María has been a partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency Department since 2019 and joined the firm in 2006. He is fluent in Spanish and English.
He has extensive experience in financial distress scenarios and in business and financial restructuring processes. He habitually provides advice to Spanish and international businesses in pre-insolvency situations, restructuring and homologation processes, as well as in court-supervised insolvency proceedings, both domestic and cross-border, having advised debtors in some of the most significant insolvency proceedings conducted in Spain.
Juan María regularly defends the interests of high-profile creditors and has a wealth of experience in designing strategies to maximize recovery.
He specializes in advising on transfers of assets in insolvency proceedings (whether individually or as part of production units), enforcement of security packages and defense of clawback actions.
He also has broad experience in civil and commercial litigation.
Some engagements he has worked on include:
- Lawyer to the challenging entities in the first two challenges to refinancing agreements to have been upheld by the Spanish courts (Abengoa case).
- Lawyer to the Spanish company owner of the Santander Group City (Ciudad Financiera de Banco Santander), as well as of its two Dutch parent companies in the insolvency proceedings involving the three companies in Spain (Marme case).
- Lawyer to the debtor in the challenge to the homologation of the refinancing agreement of one of the major Spanish shipping companies (Naviera Armas case).
- Lawyer on recurring basis to Sociedad de Gestión de Activos Procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria, S.A. (SAREB) in numerous complex insolvency situations involving this entity.
Degree in Law and in Business Administration, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
Books, articles and collective works:
- "Spanish Sales of Business Units Pre-Pack Sales Compared". GGR. The European middle Eastern and African Restructuring Review 2019 , Law Business Research Ltd. 2019.
- “Los límites subjetivos del convenio concursal y las garantías reales a favor del tercero” (Party Inclusion Limits for Arrangements with Creditors and Collateral Provided to Third Parties). Wolters Kluwer. 2019.
- “La venta de unidad productiva en el concurso: herramienta de preservación de valor y oportunidad de negocio” (The Sale of Business Units in Insolvency Proceedings: a Method of Preserving Value and Business Opportunity). Aranzadi. 2018.
- “Insolvencias transfronterizas comunitarias. La posible consolidación del COMI de un grupo de sociedades de distintas nacionalidades en el domicilio de su filial operativa (Community Cross-Border Insolvency Proceedings. Possible Consolidation of the COMI of a Multi-National Group of Companies at the Registered Office of Their Operating Subsidiary) in “Práctica Mercantil para Abogados 2015”. La Ley. 2015.
- “Acuerdos de Refinanciación” (Refinancing Agreements) in “Cuadernos prácticos Bolonia. Derecho Mercantil. Cuaderno IV. Derecho Concursal”. Dykinson. 2012.