Bárbara Vera is partner and head of the Labor and Employment practice of Garrigues Chile. Her practice is mainly focused on advising local and multinational clients on the hiring employees, compensation, benefits, strategic advice on HR aspects and labor matters associated with M&A transactions, at local and international level. She also advises clients in collective bargaining processes, dealings with unions and federations and labor relations. Her practice also covers the preparation and conduct of labor litigation associated to different matters, such as breach of fundamental rights, unjustified dismissal, declarations of sole employer (Multi Rut), occupational accidents and occupational disease. Her labor experience includes her participation as in-house attorney at CODELCO, that gives her a remarkable value in the advise she gives to clients. Bárbara has been recognized by the most important international rankings, including Chambers and Partners, The Legal500, Best Lawyers and Leaders League. She has participated as invited teacher in the Diploma of Employment and Social Security in Universidad Católica de Chile during the last five years.
Bárbara Vera is partner and head of the Labor and Employment practice of Garrigues Chile.
She is an expert in employment, social security and immigration law. She focuses mainly on the following matters:
- Advising local and multinational clients on the hiring of workers, compensation, benefits, strategic advice on HR aspects, contractual terminations, obtainment of visas and work permits for foreign personnel and labor matters associated with M&A transactions, including mergers and acquisitions at national and international level.
- Participation in collective bargaining processes, dealings with unions and federations, anti-union practices and unfair practices and permanent assistance in labor relations.
- Preparation and conduct of labor litigation in relation to breach of fundamental rights, unjustified dismissal, collection of benefits, dismissal disputes involving the dismissal of protected workers, declarations of sole employer (Multi Rut), occupational accidents and occupational disease, anti-union practices and unfair practices, among others.
She previously worked as a lawyer specializing in employment law at Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile - Codelco, where she headed the strategic labor aspects of the Corporation, mainly in the area of collective labor law. In addition, given her experience in labor and social security matters, she was a board member of Isapre Chuquicamata, San Lorenzo Isapre, Isapre Río Blanco and Isapre FUSAT, all private health insurance institutions.
Between 2009 and 2015, she was senior lawyer at law firm Carey y Cía., having led the labor law area between 2012 and 2015. Previously she worked as an associate of the labor and employment law practice of law firm Claro y Cía.
She was an international adviser on Chilean employment and labor law for the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).
- Lawyer. Degree in Legal and Social Sciences, Faculty of Law, Universidad de Chile.
- Diploma in Employment and Social Security Law for Businesses, Universidad Católica de Chile (2009).
- Specialist course in Labor Reform, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2016).
- Diploma in Mining Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2015).
- Assistant to the chair in Employment and Social Security Law at the Faculty of Law of Universidad de Chile (2004-2011)
- Professor at Diploma of Employment and Social Security Law for Businesses, Universidad Católica de Chile (2019-2023)
- Chilean Employment and Social Security Society.
- Chilean Bar Association.
- Chambers and Partners in 2022, 2021 (Band 3), 2020 (Band 4) and in 2015-2016 (Associate to Watch).
- The Legal500 (2021-2022).
- Who's Who Legal (2018 - 2022).
- Best Lawyers (2019 - 2022).
- Leaders League (2023).
Numerous articles and commentaries on labor and social security legislation, Manual de Consultas Laborales y Previsionales. Editorial LexisNexis (2005-2011).