Álvaro Bertrán is a partner in the Tax Law Department. He has developed his professional career, first at Arthur Andersen and, subsequently, at Garrigues. He has more than thirty years of professional experience. He is an expert in international taxation and non-resident taxation. He has developed numerous international expansion projects for business groups. He is also an expert in business reorganisations within the family sphere, leading numerous business succession processes and the acquisition and sale of medium-sized companies. In this regard, he is familiar with the different investment and divestment schemes of private equity companies and funds.
He holds a degree in Economics and Business Administration from the University of Alicante and spent two years studying for a postgraduate degree at Columbia University (New York), with a scholarship from the Ramón Areces Foundation.
He has been a partner in the Tax Law Department since September 2004. He began his professional career at Arthur Andersen Asesores Legales y Tributarios in 1990 and subsequently joined Garrigues when the two firms merged. His activity as a tax advisor can be described as follows:
- He has worked with numerous industrial groups in their international expansion. He has advised non-resident executives in their processes of incorporation into Spanish groups, implementing models and policies for both impatriate and expatriate personnel.
- Design and planning of numerous business restructurings within the family sphere, leading business succession processes, collaborating with other professionals in the preparation of family protocols, shareholders' agreements, preparation of wills and wealth management.
- Initial review, negotiation and sale of medium-sized companies. Coordinator of due diligence processes in company purchase operations. In this respect, he is familiar with the different investment and divestment schemes of private equity companies and funds.
- Coordinator of tax advice to major business groups.
- Collaborator as tax advisor in the financial and estate planning of different national and international family offices.
- Graduate in Economics and Business Studies (September 1984 - June 1989) from the University of Alicante.
- Postgraduate studies abroad (academic years 1991-92, 1992-93) at Columbia University, Graduate School of Business (New York, USA). Obtained a research degree in "Business Economics" and "Macroeconomics". He holds a scholarship from the Ramón Areces Foundation.
He has been a qualified member of the teaching team of the University Master's Degree in International Trade (University of Alicante) and the Master's Degree in Taxation (University of Alicante-School of Public Finance).
He is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences of the firm and various institutions (Fundesem, Coepa, FEDA, Colegio de Economistas, Caja de Crédito de Petrel, etc.) and Associations (Asociación de Empresarios Textiles de la Comunidad Valenciana, Asociación de Empresas Industriales de Sax, etc.).
Member of the College of Economists of Alicante.
Member of the Dean's Honour List at Columbia University, New York, Graduate School of Business.
Recognised as the driving force behind the Ageing Research Centre project being designed by the Autonomous Community of Valencia in collaboration with the Ministry of Health. Organiser of the Challenge to the Future Congress (February 2018) on research into population ageing from a multidisciplinary point of view.