Alberto Pimenta is the managing partner of the Dispute Resolution: Litigation and Arbitration department at Garrigues, which encompasses the civil and commercial litigation, arbitration, and criminal law and internal investigations practices. He joined Garrigues in 1996 and made partner in 2003. He specializes in corporate dispute resolution, leading one of the largest and most highly respected dispute resolution teams in Europe.
He has more than 25 years’ experience in the defense and case management of all types of business disputes, both before the civil and commercial courts, and in Spanish and international arbitration proceedings. He regularly leads the legal strategy in some of the most complex and high-profile cases in Spain and is recognized by the main international legal directories (Chambers&Partners, Legal 500, etc.) as one of the benchmark litigators in the country.
He regularly acts in proceedings before the courts and arbitral tribunals, in both national arbitrations (Court of Arbitration of the Madrid Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration, Spanish Court of Arbitration, etc.) and international arbitrations (ICC International Court of Arbitration, Permanent Court of Arbitration, etc.).
Over his long career as a litigator, he has specialized in disputes relating to obligations and contracts, corporate law (challenging corporate resolutions, directors’ liability and other conflicts between shareholders), shareholders' agreements, financial products, unfair competition, non-contractual liability or the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments in Spain (exequatur).
He has participated in hundreds of judicial and arbitration proceedings, including some of the most complex and high-profile cases in the sector. Some of his most significant cases in recent years include:
- Representation of an international cement company in an investment arbitration brought against the Republic of Ecuador at the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
- Representation of a Spanish bank in a corporate dispute involving the challenge of corporate resolutions.
- Representation of a soccer club in the Spanish premier league in a jurisdictional dispute with an audiovisual rights holder.
- Representation of a listed international construction materials manufacturer in a dispute arising from the exercise of a call option to acquire control over a cement manufacturing company.
- Representation of a gas company in an ad hoc arbitration regarding the acquisition and valuation of an LNG plant.
- Representation of a listed international construction company in an arbitration regarding a pre-contractual liability claim in the context of negotiations for the setup of a joint venture.
- Representation of a listed international insurance company in an international arbitration concerning the exercise of a put option on its holding in a bancassurance business, due to a change of control in the banking partner.
- Representation of a family office in price adjustment claims due to breach of R&W following the sale to an international pharmaceutical group of several factories and patents in Spain.
- Representation of a listed financial institution in the context of the blocking of the enforcement of first-demand guarantees by a foreign financial institution.
- Representation of an international real estate group in an arbitration regarding the alleged infringement of a right of first refusal for the acquisition of a championship golf course in Spain.
- Law degree, University of Salamanca (Spain), 1991. National Degree Award granted by the Ministry of Education and Science.
- Doctorate studies and lecturer, Department of Private Law, University of Salamanca, 1991-1993.
He has been an assistant lecturer in the Department of Commercial Law at the University of Salamanca. He is also a lecturer at Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
Member of the Madrid Bar Association. Treasurer of the International Law Association - Spain.
Pimenta is included in the major international legal directories (Chambers, Legal 500, Iberian Lawyer), which recognize him as one of the leading lawyers in the area of Dispute Resolution, forming part of the team of litigators who secure Garrigues’ position as a benchmark in Spain in business dispute resolution.
Clients highlight how "to a truly extraordinary tactical intelligence and knowledge of the law, Alberto Pimenta adds unparalleled experience within the Spanish market" (Legal 500, 2023).
A regular speaker at seminars and conferences organized by the firm and various specialist centers, he has spoken at various seminars and courses organized by ENFOQUE XXI on Civil Procedure Law 1/2000, and also contributed to the collective work "Comentarios a la Ley 60/2003, de Arbitraje" (Commentaries on Arbitration Law 60/2003). Expansión, April 2004.