Sergio González Galán
Sergio González Galán is a partner of the Corporate/Commercial Department of Garrigues, where he has spent his professional career. In 2004-2005 he worked at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett (New York) as an International Associate.
Within the corporate/commercial area, Sergio heads up Garrigues’ Corporate Governance practice area, advising some of Spain’s largest listed companies on such matters. Sergio also specializes in mergers and acquisitions and outsourcing transactions, having advised local enterprises and multinationals on domestic and international deals.
Sergio is a member of the Corporate Governance Committee of Club de la Excelencia en Sostenibilidad and represents the Spanish Confederation of Employers' Organizations (CEOE) at Business Europe and on the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD in corporate governance matters.
In the telecommunications and audiovisual industry, Sergio has provided advisory services to both international companies seeking to set up in Spain and Spanish companies on their international expansion, advising on all regulatory-related aspects of the industry. He has also taken part in an array of sale and purchase transactions, mergers, joint ventures and IPOs involving some of the industry’s leading players.
In the energy industry, he plays a pivotal role in renewable energy-related sale and purchase transactions (wind farms, photovoltaic and thermosolar plants).
Sergio has been named by:
- Legal 500 as one of the key names in Garrigues’ Corporate and M&A practice area, with the Firm as a whole ranked Band 1
- Legal 500 as one of the key names in Garrigues’ in the Retail Industry, with the Firm as a whole ranked Band 1
- Best Lawyers in Spain, since it was first published back in 2008, as one of Spain’s foremost lawyers in the Communications industry, having being named Communications Lawyer of the Year in 2012
- Best Lawyers in Spain, as a leading lawyer in Corporate and M&A
- Best Lawyers in Spain, as a leading lawyer in Information Technology
- Euromoney’s Expert Guides as a leading lawyer in Telecommunications
Member of Garrigues’ US Desk.
He is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences on corporate governance, as well as on master’s degrees and postgraduate courses on telecommunications and audiovisual subjects (Universidad Europea de Madrid, ICADE, Universidad Carlos III).
Sergio is a member of the Madrid Bar Association.
Degree in Law and Business Studies from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE E-1).
Specialist qualification in Telecommunications Law from Instituto de Postgrado ICAI-ICADE at Universidad Pontificia de Comillas.
Degree in Politics from Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia.
Degree in Sociology from Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia
Co-author of :
- “Perspectives on Corporate Governance for the Spanish Economy” (*), coordinated by Fundación de Estudios Bursátiles y Financieros (Civitas - Thomson Reuters, Madrid, 2015).
- “Studies on the General Audiovisual Communications Law” (*), coordinated by Miguel Azpitarte and Carmen Chinchilla (Thomson Reuters, Madrid, 2011)
- “Telecommunications: Studies on public domain and private property” (*), coordinated by Carmen Chinchilla (Marcial Pons, Madrid, 2000).
(*) originally published in Spanish.
Sergio also contributes articles to general and specialist media outlets