- About Garrigues
- Practice Areas
Show more Practice Areas
Areas and industries
Show more Locations
- Team Show more Team
- Garrigues news room
- Calendar of events
- Work with us Show more Work with us
José Fernández-Rañada is a Partner at J&A Garrigues, S.L.P., where he has pursued his professional career since 1997.
He currently belongs to the Madrid-based M&A Group and is the partner in charge of the Life Sciences industry group of the corporate/commercial practice (Madrid office).
José Fernández-Rañada provides ongoing advice on corporate matters to major companies, both Spanish and foreign, and in particular advises some of the foremost companies in the Spanish pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
Moreover, he is an expert in corporate/commercial law and has a wealth of experience in company sale and purchase transactions, as well as in mergers, spin-offs and corporate restructuring processes, having taken part as an adviser in some of Spain’s most significant deals in recent years. He stands out for his advice on international transactions and for his experience in advising private equity entities.
Frequent lecturer at ESADE (Master’s Degree in Corporate Finance & Law), Centro Estudios Garrigues and other well-known post-graduate programs and legal seminars.
José Fernández-Rañada has been singled out by several legal directories, such as Chambers&Partners and Who’s Who Legal, which have highlighted that he is "an extremely solid professional" and that "his best qualities are fast responses, excellent knowledge of both theory and practice, and outstanding negotiation skills". In addition, in 2011 he was one of the recipients of the “40 under Forty” Award (Iberian Lawyer). Iberian Lawyer’s 40 under Forty Awards honor the leading 40 lawyers across Spain and Portugal under the age of 40.
Selected by Best Lawyers in Spain (Corporate and M&A Law). Selection to Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive and rigorous peer-review survey comprising more than three million confidential evaluations by top attorneys.
He is a member of the Madrid Bar Association.
Master’s Degree in European Commercial Law (Université Libre de Bruxelles – ULB), with "Grande distinction" honors.
Degree in Law and Associate’s Degree in Business Studies (ICADE E-I Universidad Pontificia de Comillas).
Completed first and second year business studies (distance learning) at Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED).
He has authored a range of articles and publications, such as:
- THE PROPOSAL FOR A DIRECTIVE RELATING TO THE TRANSPARENCY OF THE PRICES OF MEDICINAL FOR HUMAN USE: STATE OF PLAY Cuadernos de Derecho Farmacéutico nº 44 January-March 2013
- “Spanish M&A: Two steps forward, one step back” (Legal Week)
- “Innovation and Intellectual Property” (Cuadernos de Derecho Farmacéutico)
- “The Sale of Medicinal Products over the Internet and by other electronic media: unfinished business” (Legal Week)
- “New developments in the treatment of mergers following an LBO” (Capital & Corporate)
- “Biology lessons” (The European Lawyer)
- “The new concept of groups of companies” (Cinco Días)