Jaime Iglesias Gallardo
Jaime is a partner at the Bogotá and Sao Paulo offices, from which he coordinates Garrigues’ operations in Colombia and Brazil.
He is a member of the Litigation and Arbitration Department, where he specializes in the resolution of disputes with a strong cross-border/international component, through a wide variety of mechanisms.
In particular, Jaime has amassed a wealth of international arbitration-related experience, having acted in numerous ad hoc arbitration proceedings administered by institutions such as the Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Court of Arbitration of the Madrid Chamber of Commerce (CAM), Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce, the Zurich Chamber of Commerce, the Conselho Arbitral do Estado de Sao Paulo (CAESP), the Spanish Court of Arbitration, the Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration (CIMA), among others, involving a diverse range of laws (Spanish law, Brazilian law, Swiss law, Argentinean law, etc.) and very different seats of arbitration (Madrid, Paris, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Sao Paulo, Barcelona, etc.).
His main areas of expertise are large construction or industrial projects, the energy and automobile industries, distribution and agency agreements and company sale and purchase agreements.
Highlighted by the publication Best Lawyers in Spain in the areas of Litigation and Arbitration and Mediation.
He is a member of the Madrid Bar Association, a Foreign Law Consultant of the Sao Paulo Branch of the Brazilian Bar Association since 2013, as well as a member of the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) and the subcommittee of Infrastructure and Energy of the ICC Brazil.
He has taught classes as a guest lecturer at Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universidad de la Coruña and Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
He is a regular speaker in seminars and conferences organized by the firm and various specialist centers and associations.
Law Degree, Universidad de La Coruña.
Master’s Degree in Maritime Law and Business, Universidad Pontificia de Comillas.
LLM Master in Maritime Law and Affairs. University of Wales, College of Cardiff.
M.Phil (DEA) from Universidad de La Coruña.
Anglo-American Law, Centro de Estudios Garrigues.
Author and co-author of various books and articles:
- Chapter on Spain in the collective work “Overview of Class Action in Latin American Law” (*), Affinitas 2008.
- “International Arbitration under the European Energy Charter: channels for foreign investors” (*), Cuadernos de Energía, no. 30, January 2011.
- “Lawyers and New ADR Methods in the Civil and Commercial Jurisdiction” (*) in the collective work published in 2011 by Civitas-Thomson Reuters, “Challenges of the Legal Profession in a Global Society”.
- “The Most Significant Litigation and Arbitration Cases in 2011 at the Major Firms” (*), a collective work published by La Ley, Wolters Kluwer group, 2012.
- “International & Comparative Competition Litigation”, a collective work published by Kluwer International, 2012.
- “Brazil adopts “The Territorial Approach” in its first judgment related to the recognition of an annulled international award”, Diritto dell Commercio Internazionale, Anno XXX, Fasc. 2, 2016.
(*) originally published in Spanish. See Spanish CV for more information.