Félix Plaza Romero
Félix Plaza is partner of the Tax Department of Garrigues, where he has pursued his professional career after a period at Arthur Andersen. He specializes in Tax Law, particularly in the audiovisual, media and distribution sectors, where he advises major national and international companies.
In addition, he is currently the head of the Sports and Entertainment Law Department at the Firm (Garrigues Sports & Entertainment), specializing in advisory services for people and entities operating in that sector (clubs, federations, investment funds, film production companies, artists and sportspersons, etc.).
In this context, Felix regularly participates in transactions for investment in rights and fundraising, advising national and international investment funds, sports sponsors, film production companies, distributors and exhibitors, and artists and sportspersons.
In recent years, Felix has garnered extensive experience in advising on the planning and organization of large sporting and cultural events. In this field, he has provided advice, among others, to the Spanish Royal Golf Federation on its bid to host Ryder Cup 2018 ;to the various Olympic Offices set up to develop Madrid’s bid to host the Olympic Games and to the city of Madrid in its participation in the 2010 Universal Exposition of Shanghai.
He has been highlighted by various international directories, including Chambers & Partners, Best Lawyers and Who’s Who, as a notable practitioner in the area of Sports Law.
Felix is a lecturer on the Executive Master’s in International Taxation at Centro de Estudios Garrigues, where he teaches a specific section on international taxation of artists and sportspersons; a lecturer on the Master’s in Taxation at Centro de Estudios Garrigues; and a lecturer on the Master’s in Sports Law, organized by Real Madrid C.F. and Universidad Europea de Madrid (UEM).
Felix is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences and he is in charge of internal training in tax matters at Garrigues.
He is in charge of internal training in tax matters at Garrigues.
Felix is a member of the Madrid Bar Association.
Degree in Law from Centro Universitario San Pablo CEU (Universidad Complutense de Madrid).
Master’s in Taxation and Tax Advisory from Centro de Estudios Financieros.
- Coauthor of the chapter on Cooperation Agreements of the work “Tax Treatment of Patronage” published by the Taxes and Competiveness Foundation.
- Coauthor of the chapter “Tax treatment of forms of patronage other than gifts and contributions”, in “Nuevo Tratado de Fundaciones” (New Treaty on Foundations), edited by Thomson Reuters in 2016.
- Coauthor of the book “Régimen Tributario del Deporte” (“Tax Regime for Sport”) published by Thomson Reuters in 2013.
- Coordinator and author of the book “Fiscalidad Internacional de los Deportistas” (“Global Guide to Tax for Sportspeople”) published in a bilingual edition by Thomson Aranzadi in 2010.
- Coordinator and author of the book “Tax Guide on Sportsperson Taxation in Certain Relevant Jurisdictions” published by Thompson Aranzadi in 2008.
- Coauthor of the book “El Derecho deportivo en España 1975-2005” (“Sports Law in Spain 1975-2005”), published by the Department of Tourism, Trade and Sports of the Andalucía Regional Government in 2005.
- Cowriter of the white paper for the reform of the tax treatment of sponsorship and of the individual taxation of sportspersons, presented to the National Sports Council.
Felix has written numerous articles and contributed to different journals, and he is a member of the editorial board of the sports and entertainment law journal Revista Aranzadi de Derecho de Deporte y Entretenimiento.