Alfredo Fernández Rancaño
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño is the partner in charge of Garrigues’ Administrative and Zoning and Planning Law Department, where he has pursued his professional career since 1993. He also in charge of Garrigues’ Enviromental Department.
Over the course of his long career, he has amassed extensive and in-depth knowledge on a wide range of aspects relating to administrative law and zoning and planning law. His areas of expertise include the following:
- Financing of public infrastructure, especially as regards budget matters, the identification of public-private partnership models and the preparation of appropriate administrative terms of tender, providing assistance during the tender process, in particular on the method of public works concessions (preparation of answers to questions raised by potential tenderers; analysis of administrative documentation and tender bids; legal advice on the award, formalization and performance of the contract, etc).
- Advice to the public and private sectors on the execution, amendment, performance, assignment and termination of administrative contracts of all kinds (works, services, supply, concession of public works, public-private partnerships).
- Legal audits and the preparation of reports on different issues relating to the EU and Spanish law applicable to a range of industries (health, transport, mining, coasts, ports, airports, gaming, energy, telecommunications, trade, etc.).
- Assistance to public authorities in relation to the drafting and application of legal rules in the form of statute and regulations.
- Division of powers and functions between public authorities in different areas, institutional reorganization of public authorities and comprehensive legal advice on changes to management methods for public services provided by authorities at central government, autonomous community or local level, or by public bodies dependent on such authorities. Involvement in the privatization of public industries and services and, specifically, the preparation of legal reviews for companies subject to acquisition processes.
- Cooperation and methods of partnership between public authorities.
- Advice to the public and private sectors on planning matters: analysis of planning instruments, zoning contracts, identification of the acts requiring a license, rules on transfer of licenses, the relationship between municipal licenses and other industry authorizations (especially on trade matters). Moreover, advice on zoning due diligence matters.
- Advice on inalienable and alienable public property and on compulsory purchase.
- Legal assistance on public aid and subsidies and, in particular, those from European Union funds for the construction of major infrastructure.
- Comprehensive advice on staff in the service of public authorities.
- Legal advice to individuals, commercial companies and public entities of all kinds on administrative proceedings, including penalty proceedings and judicial reviews.
- Active participation in the implementation of international technical assistance projects financed by multilateral bodies such as the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank and the European Commission in countries such as Mexico, Bolivia, Paraguay and Peru.
- In general, advice on all aspects relating to the different areas of administrative activity (at central government, autonomous community and local level): roads, transports, health, telecommunications, water, education, health, energy, etc.
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño has performed numerous teaching engagements at a range of institutions (ICADE, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Universidad de las Illes Balears) and has lectured on the Advanced Program on Public-Private Partnership Models in the Health and Socio-Health Area at IE Business School since 2011.
He is also a regular speaker at seminars and conferences organized by the firm and various specialist centers (IFAES, IIR, etc.).
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño has been included by the Chambers&Partners directory in the Public Law practice area, forming part of the team of experts singled out for praise by the directory, which ranks Garrigues as one of the leading firms in Spain in the area of Public Law.
He is also a member of the Madrid Bar Association, the Construction Arbitration Committee, the Public Procurement Arbitration Tribunal (TACOP), the Legal Services Committee and the Transportation Committee of the PPP Infrastructure Forum, and the Forum for Good Administrative Regulation.
Degree in Law and in Economics and Business from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE E-3).
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño has contributed to several books, such as “Public Collaboration” (*) (Manual on Law for Engineers) published by Editorial La Ley-Iberdrola in 2010 and “Late Payment in the Public Sector” (*) from the publisher Aranzadi in 2012. Furthermore, he is a regular contributor to an array of publications such as Expansión.
(*) originally published in Spanish.