- About Garrigues
- Practice Areas
Show more Practice Areas
Areas and industries
Show more Locations
- Team Show more Team
- Garrigues news room
- Calendar of events
- Work with us Show more Work with us
The Hotels and Tourism group boasts a team of professionals with extensive knowledge of the industry, providing clients with legal services of the highest quality. We work closely with industry bodies and associations on a diverse range of initiatives, such as the proposal of potential legislative and regulatory reforms.
As a multidisciplinary team, we deal with and provide solutions to a whole host of issues (tax, corporate/commercial, intellectual property, labor and employment, environmental, antitrust, etc.), with a designated team coordinator in each of the major Spanish cities.
The group’s main activities include:
- The tax and legal design of investments or the start-up of tourism-related businesses (hotels, condo-hotels, timeshare arrangements, air, sea or land transport companies, travel agencies and online activities, etc.). Advice, design and legal implementation of the vertical integration of various tourism-related businesses (hotel, travel agency, aviation, cruise ship, etc.).
- Acquisition of hospitality and tourism businesses in general (hotel chains, hotel operators or owners, travel agencies, transport companies, cruise operators, etc.).
- Acquisition of assets (real estate, aircraft, vessels, etc.).
- International business expansion: international tax planning and legal design, drafting and negotiation of contracts, and coordination with other international firms we regularly work with.
- Definition of transfer pricing policies. Quantitative analysis and legal documentation for intra-group transactions.
- Formation of joint ventures to start-up and manage businesses.
- Global (tax and legal) analysis of business restructuring processes and their implementation.
- Tax audits at enterprises. Due diligence reviews of the main tax and legal issues.
- Analysis, drafting and negotiation of contracts in general and contracts for services (hotel management, hotel leases, combined travel agreements, agency agreements, transportation agreements, aircraft charter parties, etc.) in particular.
- Design of executive and employee compensation programs in cases of international assignment.
- International projects and advice on international agencies and governments.
- Disputes arising from acquisitions and sales already made. Litigation with clients and/or suppliers.
- Tax and legal aspects of business and asset finance (asset finance for hotels, vessels, aircraft, etc.
- Applications for and obtainment of administrative permits and licenses for the opening or operating of tourism businesses or activities. Assistance with administrative inspections and appeals filed with the authorities (central, autonomous community or local government) and judicial review proceedings before the courts.
- Labor and employment advisory services (hiring of personnel, legislation applicable to foreign workers, employee remuneration, working hours, disciplinary proceedings, collective layoff procedures, etc.)
- Public subsidies: analysis of the public aid available based on the geographical area, activity or business and nature of the investment. Assistance in preparing application and related documentation. Periodic review of compliance with requirements.
- Environmental advice: technical and legal review.