Mark English is a partner in the European & Competition Law practice in the Brussels office. Mark has extensive experience in the areas of European and UK competition law, particularly in antitrust and merger control. Mark has particular expertise in unilateral conduct cases and in the application of competition rules to intellectual property rights. Mark regularly advises companies in a variety of sectors, including high-tech and aviation.
Mark holds a Law Degree from the University of Sheffield, an LL.M in European Law from the College of Europe (Bruges), and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice. Mark is a member of the Law Society for England and Wales and a member of the Brussels Bar (A list).
Mark is a regular contributor to specialist publications and regularly lectures on university courses in his area of practice. Mark has been recognised by leading international directories.
Mark speaks English, French and Spanish.
Mark has been a partner in Garrigues' European & Competition Law practice Department since 2023. He has advised and represented various companies before the European Commission, the EU Courts, the UK Competition and Markets Authority and the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal, including, most notably*:
- Representing Qualcomm in the European Commission “exclusivity payments” Article 102 TFEU investigation (Case AT.40220) and the subsequent successful application for the annulment of the European Commission decision before the EU General Court (Case T-235/18 Qualcomm, Inc. v Commission).
- Representing Qualcomm in the European Commission “predation” Article 102 investigation (Case AT.39711) and the subsequent application for the annulment of the European Commission decision before the EU General Court (Case T-671/19 Qualcomm, Inc. v Commission).
- Representing Qualcomm as defendant in a UK collective damages action brought by the UK Consumers’ Association before the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Representing Qualcomm in connection with the acquisition of the “Arriver” automated driving division of Veoneer, a tier-1 automotive supplier, including obtaining unconditional approval from the German competition authority.
- Representing eBay in the disposal of its online classifieds ads businesses, and the subsequent acquisition by eBay of a minority stake in Adevinta, the acquirer.
- Representing Qualcomm before the European Commission and various other competition authorities in merger control aspects of Qualcomm’s proposed acquisition of NXP Semiconductors N.V.
- Representing Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd in relation to the European Commission’s antitrust investigation into Samsung’s exercise of certain of its “standard-essential” patents.
- Advising SAS, the Scandinavian airline, on EU competition law aspects of cooperation with Widerøe, a regional airline formerly owned by SAS.
- Advising Singapore Airlines on the disposal of its shareholding in Virgin Atlantic to Delta Air Lines and the requisite regulatory approvals, including merger control approval by the European Commission.
- Representing UAL Corporation, the parent company of United Airlines, on the EU merger control aspects of its merger with Continental Airlines.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Garrigues.
- Master in law (LL.M.), College of Europe, Bruges (Belgium) (2007).
- Legal Practice Course, Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, UK (2006).
- BA in Law with French, University of Sheffield, UK (2004).
- Brussels Bar Association (A list).
- Solicitor - Law Society for England and Wales.
Mark was a member of the editorial team of the Journal of European Competition Law and Practice (JECLAP), published by Oxford University Press, from 2016 until 2023. Mark is also a regular contributor to specialised publications. Examples include:
- “EU Competition Law and the Rail Sector”. EU Competition Law and Regulation in the Transport. Oxford University Press. 2017.
- “An assessment of injunctions, patents and standards following the Court of Justice’s Huawei/ZTE ruling”. Journal of European Competition Law and Practice. 2016. Co-authored.
- “IP and Antitrust: Recent Developments in EU Law”. Communications and Competition Law: Key Issues in the Telecoms, Media and Technology Sectors. International Bar Association / Wolters Kluwer. 2015. Co-authored.
- “IP and Antitrust – EU”. GCR Know-how. 2014-2020. Assisting editor.
- “Competition Law on the State”. Understanding EU Internal Market Law. Intersentia. 2014.
- “Procedural rights in EU antitrust enforcement – fifty years on”. Scrutinizing Internal and External Dimensions of European Law. Peter Lang / College of Europe. 2013. Co-authored.
- Butterworths Competition Law Service (chapter on EU aviation). 2012-2017. Assisting editor.
- Getting the Deal Through: Aviation – EU. Lexology. 2010-2017. Assisting editor.
- “EU competition law developments in the aviation sector”. EU Air & Space Law. 2010. Co-authored.
- “Transparency and process: do we need a new mandate for the Hearing Officer?”. European Competition Journal. 2010. Co-authored.
- “An offer you can’t refuse? An analysis of EC cartel settlement”. Derecho de la Competencia Europeo y Español. Dykinson. 2009.