Ángel Givaja Sanz Partner
+32 2 545 37 00
Registered lawyer nº 74676
I. Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
Ángel Givaja is a partner in the European and Competition Law Department, where he practices in the areas of competition law and international trade. He regularly advises companies and associations in various sectors: pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, aviation, banking and agriculture. He has represented clients in numerous proceedings before the European Courts as well as companies in the framework of various investigations initiated by the trade authorities of the EU, USA, China and Morocco. He has extensive experience in anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard proceedings. In addition, he advises in the framework of sanctions imposed by the EU against third countries. Graduated in Law from the Universidad San Pablo-CEU, LL.M in European Law from the College of Europe and PDG in International and EU Law from the Université Panthéon- Sorbonne, he has been recognised since 2015 by the main international directories of lawyers. He is a member of the Madrid Bar Association and the Brussels Bar Association (List E).
Ángel has been a partner in the European and EU Law Department at Garrigues since 2015, having joined the firm in 2002. He has carried out all of his professional activity in the Brussels office. His professional practice covers Competition Law and International Trade and he regularly advises companies and associations in various sectors such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, aviation, banking, agriculture and paper.
- He has extensive experience in proceedings before the European Courts concerning the attribution of liability for competition law infringements, state aid, cartels, parallel trade, infringement proceedings against Member States and budgetary policy.
- In the area of trade defence measures, Angel has advised and represented numerous companies in various investigations initiated by EU, US, Chinese and Moroccan trade authorities in relation to various steel and aluminium products, black olives, wine, coke 80+, canned mandarin oranges, foundry products, fasteners and potassium permanganate.
- He has extensive experience in anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard proceedings.
- In addition, he regularly advises clients based in third countries on customs duties, international sanctions and the interpretation of free trade agreements.
- Master in European Law (LL.M), College of Europe (Bruges), 2002.
- PGD Droit International et de l’Union européen, Université Panthéon- Sorbonne (Paris I), 2001.
- Degree in Law, Universidad San Pablo-CEU, 2000.
Among other academic activities, Angel has been a professor at the China-Europe School of Law, having led seminars on EU competition law in Beijing and Shanghai. Moreover, he has lectured on EU law on various postgraduate courses and seminars organized by Hamburg University, Erasmus University Rotterdam, San Pablo CEU in Madrid and the Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles (Course of Competition Law in the EU and in Spain).
- Madrid Bar Association.
- Brussels Bar Association (List E).
His work has been recognized by the international legal directories Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. In its 2018 issue, Chambers Europe highlights how “clients value his solid legal knowledge in the commercial field” as well as his "effectiveness and efficiency in achieving goals set by customers’”. Chambers Global 2017 praises him as “a very good lawyer with a great knowledge of matters and who is always deeply involved in giving the best service to the clients”.
Ángel regularly contributes articles to the leading specialized publications. Apart from his 28 articles in e-Competitions, his publications notably include:
- “Derechos especiales y exclusivos, servicios públicos y servicios de interés económico general”. Tratado de Derecho de la competencia (2nd ed.). Bosch. 2017. Co-author with José Luis Buendía.
- “Round Up”. Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, 4, nº3. 2013. Co-author with José Luis Buendía.
- “Round up”. Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, 3, nº3. 2012. Co-author with José Luis Buendía.
- “Round up”. Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, 1, nº3. 2010. Co-author with José Luis Buendía.
- "Fine Arts in Brussels: Punishment and Settlement of Cartel Cases under EC Competition Law.” Antitrust: between EC Law and National Law. Bruylant. 2008. Co-author with Alfonso Lamadrid and Luis Ortiz.
- “Comentarios y concordancias a la Ley de garantías y uso racional de los medicamentos”. Garrigues- Thomson Aranzadi. 2007.
- “La Red de Autoridades de Competencia”. Derecho de la Competencia Europeo y Español, VII. Dykinson. 2007.
- “When Parents Pay for their Children’s Wrongs: Attribution of Liability for EC Antitrust Infringements in Parent-Subsidiary Scenarios”. World Competition, 29, n 3. 2006. Co-author with Aitor Montesa.
- “Desarrollos recientes en torno al programa comunitario de clemencia y su implantación en la nueva Ley de Defensa de la Competencia”. Gaceta jurídica de la CE y de la competencia, n 246. 2006. Co-author with Eduardo Cabrera.