Andrés Ordoñez is a partner with the Corporate/Commercial Department at Garrigues’ Colombia office, where he specializes in mergers & acquisitions. Andrés is licensed to practice law in the State of New York and Colombia. His practice is focused on cross-border acquisitions representing primarily multinational corporations and private equity funds in acquiring assets based in Latin America and Colombian companies in acquiring companies abroad. In addition, Andrés has significant experience in debt securities offerings in international markets and in cross-border and syndicated financing transactions.
Andrés is a lawyer with a Law Degree from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and holds an LL.M. in Securities and Financial Regulation (with honors) from Georgetown University and a postgraduate degree in Business Law from Universidad de los Andes. He has been recognized as an expert in M&A by Chambers & Partners Latin-America, Chambers & Partners Global, Legal 500, IFLR1000 and Transactional Track Record.
Andrés Ordoñez has been a member of Garrigues since 2017. Before joining Garrigues he practiced as a senior associate at the New York office of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP. He also did a stint at a leading Colombian firm, the Washington D.C. office of Arnold & Porter LLP and, before that, as in-house counsel of a prominent Colombian investment bank.
Andrés has worked on numerous cross-border corporate transactions in a broad range of industries, including financial services, private equity, insurance, infrastructure, healthcare, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, technology, energy, and logistics, among others.
- Legal adviser to QuirónSalud in its aggressive expansion in Colombia, which has included the acquisition of 8 top-tier hospitals and diagnostic centers, including Centro Médico Imbanaco, Clínica de la Mujer, Clínica las Vegas, Clínica del Prado, Clínica Medellín, Cedimed, Centro Oncológico de Antioquia and Clínica Oftalmológica de Antioquia - Clofán.
- Legal adviser to I Squared Capital on the acquisition and financing of the acquisition of Sociedad Portuaria de Barranquilla and its affiliates.
- Legal adviser to Krealo, a corporate venture capital firm of Credicorp Capital, on its majority investment in the Colombian insurtech firm Monokera.
- Legal adviser to FCC Aqualia on the acquisition of water and sewage public service infrastructure facilities in several municipalities in Colombia.
- Legal adviser to Andean Tower Partners on several cross-border financings, including a syndicated loan of USD 170M and USD 50M managed by Scotiabank and its first international bond offering (144A, Reg S) for USD 375M.
- Legal adviser to highway concessionaire Doble Calzada Oriente (DCO) on the sale of a 30% stake to the international funds BlackRock and AC Capitales.
- Legal adviser to Andean Tower Partners on the multijurisdictional acquisition of BTS Towers.
- Legal adviser to PayU and Prosus on the acquisition of Tecnipagos, a company specializing in electronic deposits and payments, which required authorization from the financial regulator.
- Legal adviser to Prosegur Cash on multiple transactions, including the acquisition of the cash-in-transit business of Grupo Almo (Proval) in Central America, the cash-in-transit Colombian business unit of G4S and the firm Metroalarmas in Medellín.
- Legal adviser to a leading telecommunications infrastructure company in Latin America on the acquisition of over 700 telecommunications masts, fiber optic networks and data centers.
- Legal adviser to FCP Emprendimiento e Innovación SP, an investment fund managed by Credicorp Capital Colombia, on its Series A investment in Triciclos, a recycling company based in Brazil and Chile.
- Legal adviser to Zurich Insurance Group on the Colombian leg in the acquisition of QBE Insurance Group’s operation in Latin America. The transaction involved the purchase of the insurance businesses in Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil, Mexico and Colombia.
- Legal adviser to TIBA on the acquisition of Grupo Bemel, a Colombian leading freight and import company with a footprint in multiple Colombian cities and the United States.
- Legal adviser to Enel X International, controlled by the Italian Enel, on the Colombian tranche of its acquisition of a significant stake in Ufinet.
- Legal adviser to Banco W on its acquisition of Financiera de Pagos Internacionales, a regulated financial institution specializing in remittances.
- Legal adviser to Coltefinanciera on its acquisition of the asset and liability portfolio of the Colombian bank Multibank.
- Legal adviser to Grupo GTD on the Colombian aspects of the acquisition of SecureSoft, a cybersecurity firm that operates in Peru, Colombia and Ecuador.
- Legal adviser to Valorem on the sale of 100% of its stake in the Colombian logistics services firm Suppla to DHL, a Deutsche Post DHL Group subsidiary.
- LL.M. in Securities and Financial Regulation (with honors), Georgetown University.
- Law Degree, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana de Bogotá D.C, Colombia.
- Postgraduate Degree in Business Law, Universidad de los Andes de Bogotá D.C, Colombia.
- Member of the New York Bar.
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the Colombian Private Equity Association.
- Chambers and Partners Global and Latin America: “Andrés Ordóñez is an M&A lawyer in Colombia with deep knowledge of the market and tremendous expertise”.
- Legal 500: “It is a professional, committed and agile team. The strong leadership of partner Andrés Ordóñez makes the team especially dependable.”
- IFLR 1000: "Andres is an experienced attorney, with great legal and personal skills that makes it really pleasant working with him. He thinks out of the box, is always evaluating risks and proposing innovative solutions. He has excellent communications skills and explains tough matters in a very easy way. He is a great leader and an exceptional lawyer."
- Transactional Track Record featured Deal Maker.