International Arbitration Newsletter - December 2021
Projected reform of the arbitration legislation in Morocco: does it correctly address the issues encountered with the current legislation?
Jaafar Laidi and Reda Gzouli
Morocco has proposed a bill that would amend its current arbitration regulations, which were posing an obstacle to promoting this alternative method for resolving disputes in the country. The aim of the bill is to help convert the country into a leading financial center. We analyze below the key features of the bill that may be adopted in the coming weeks.
- Colombia. Eco Oro succeeds in its dispute with Colombia
- Peru. Third ICSID arbitration to start over Lima Metro System
- Peru. French companies commence arbitration against Peru
- Uruguay. Uruguay seeks enforcement against Italba in the US
- Chile. Chinese company threatens Chile with an ICSID claim
- Panama. Florida court upholds ICC awards in favour of Panama Canal Authority
- Spain. Spain fails in its attempt to reopen ICSID case on the grounds of Komstroy resolution
- France. ICC award stands strong in the face of COVID-19
- Finland. Finland faces its first treaty claim from Chinese investor
- Bahrain. Bahrain found liable for expropriation
- Cape Verde. Travel group to bring expropriation claims against Cape Verde Government
- Republic of the Congo. Republic of the Congo faces yet another mining claim
- Republic of the Congo. Republic of the Congo to bring claims against Israeli oil companies
- Egypt. Egypt defeats hotel investor
- Japan. Japanese investor wins claim over solar plants dispute
- South Korea. Claim for liquidated damages initiated against Korean state-owned bank
- Singapore. Singapore Court of Appeal revokes ICC award after upholding new defense
- Joe Tirado (London) has been appointed to the Global Arbitrator and Global Arbitration Counsel Lists of the Office of The Ombudsman for United Nations Funds and Programmes, a UN organization.
- Joe Tirado (London) moderated a JAMS sponsored panel on Resolving Cross Border Construction, Infrastructure and Energy Disputes in Latin America in Miami on 15 December 2021.
- Joe Tirado (London) was also a panellist on Mediation in Investor – State conflicts at CEA 9th Business Mediation Café on 2 December 2021.
- Carlos de los Santos (Madrid) participated, as a member of the ICC Court of International Arbitration, in the working sessions of this Court that took place in Miami on 13 and 14 December.
- Joe Tirado (London) was the author on Remote Hearings: A New Dawn or a Reawakening?, published in www.adrtimes.com on 29 November 2021.