Juan José Berdullas Pomares
Juanjo Berdullas is a partner of the Real Estate Department of Garrigues. He is specialized in the areas of investment on real estate assets and instruments with underlying real estate or similar assets and rights, real estate finance and all those aspects of investment funds activity, covering contractual and regulatory aspects.
He has advised in all types of real estate transactions (over all sorts of real estate assets, including recent major sale and lease back transactions involving financial institutions and corporates). He has also participated in the design and implementation of complex transactions involving real estate assets and rights (loan assignment and subparticipations, NPL’s, options over loans, liquidation and winding-up of real estate joint ventures, sale of real estate companies divestiture and acquisition).
Likewise, he has advised financial institutions and foreign investors in restructuring and financing transactions, including assistance in the configuration and execution of security packages within the framework of financing and/or refinancing of pan-European asset and loan portfolios and CMBS and similar instruments issuance, advising also funds and hedge funds in their trading over bilateral and syndicated debt.
His involvement also includes active assistance to major financial institutions in the acquisition, reorganization and divesture of REO and real estate loans.
He was a visiting lawyer at Sullivan & Cromwell (New York office) in 2008-2009, integrated in its General and FFII practices and participated in some of the most relevant transactions relating to the restructuring and reorganization of the US banking and insurance sectors, as well as in a number of corporate and finance transactions in Latin America.
He is a member of the Barcelona Bar Association, the New York Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is also a member of the alumni association of “la Caixa” and Columbia University.
A frequent speaker in seminars and conferences, he has also published several articles and papers on his field of expertise.
Degree in Law, Universidad de Granada. Degree in Translation and Interpreting, Universidad de Granada (Fellow of the University of California at the University of California Santa Barbara).
Legal Practice Post-Graduate Course at the Barcelona Bar Association.
Master of Laws (LL.M.), Columbia University (New York) (“la Caixa” Fellow and King James Scholar Honors). Sworn Translator (English Language) of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- “SAREB and FABs: a first look behind the acronyms” (Financier Worldwide Magazine June 2013).
- “Socimi's en el sector hotelero: ¿hacia un mercado de Reit’s especializados a través de la eficiencia fiscal?” (Revista Check In-CBRE-2013).
- “Down the Shops” (European Lawyer- June 2011).
- Capítulo “La contratación para la adquisición de inmuebles” Derecho Mercantil Inmobiliario (with María Teresa Hernández Falcó) (Editorial Bosch 2009).
- “China: De la sacralización del suelo a la revolución inmobiliaria” (El País Propiedades, February 2006).
- “Aspectos jurídicos de la inversión inmobiliaria en Europa del Este” (Vía Inmobiliaria, February 2006).