Antonio Lon is a partner in the Administrative, Planning and Zoning Law Department at Garrigues and has spent his professional career at the firm since 1991.
A member of the Valencia Bar Association, he practices in administrative, planning and zoning law, with particular expertise in the following areas:
Draft legislation: he has advised various public authorities on the drafting of legislation on energy, planning and zoning matters.
Planning and zoning: he practices in the three main areas of activity (planning, management and enforcement), and has performed engagements subject to national and regional zoning legislation for numerous clients in the public and private sectors.
Legal advice to public authorities, public law entities and public companies: he provides recurring legal advice to public authorities, public law entities and public sector companies at autonomous community and local level on aspects such as the applicable procurement regime, financing alternatives for various kinds of contracts, the reversion system for condemned property and the preparation of procurement specifications.
Projects for a change of management model for public services at autonomous community (motor vehicle inspection), provincial (waste management, cultural and museum-related activities) and local level (drinking water supply service through a public company, waste management, establishment and operation of desalination plant for supply of drinking water).
Strategic planning projects for various public authorities.
Public authority contracts: he provides recurring advice to various private sector clients on their contractual relationships with public authorities and on their participation in public tenders.
In particular, he has acquired extensive experience in advising on procurement projects using public-private partnership mechanisms (concessions, project finance, PPP contracts).
Activities: he has a wealth of experience in issuing legal opinions and in contentious judicial proceedings, for both classified and harmless activities.
Subsidies: he has provided legal advice to private sector companies on applying for and obtaining subsidies and on repayment proceedings. He has also advised public sector subsidy management companies in relation to inspection proceedings brought by intervention agencies.
Environment: he has provided legal advice in reviews of compliance with environmental legislation and for the preparation of environmental impact studies subject to both national and regional legislation.
Special properties: he has advised a large number of clients on water matters (applying for and obtaining concessions, penalty proceedings); coastline areas (boundaries and penalty proceedings); ports (examining the feasibility of expanding port facilities and infrastructure from a legal standpoint); mines (obtaining concessions and permits, preparing and implementing special plans); and forests (occupancy licenses).
Condemnation proceedings: aside from cases of condemnation directly linked to the zoning process, he has also advised on condemnation proceedings under the general condemnation legislation.
Appeals in the administrative and judicial review jurisdictions: he has taken part in in preparing countless pleadings and appeals in the administrative jurisdiction and acted as counsel for a range of clients at the judicial review courts.
Lecturer in Administrative Law, Institut Valencià de Seguretat Pública of the Department of Public Administration of the Valencia Autonomous Community Government (1996).
Lecturer on the Advanced Course on Town and Land Zoning and Management, Fundación Universitat Empresa (Universidad Jaume I de Castellón) (2003-2007).
Lecturer on the Master’s Degree in Planning and Zoning, Universidad de Alicante (2005).
Lecturer in Administrative Law, Faculty of Law, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera de Valencia (2007-2013).
Lecturer on the Master’s Degree in Planning and Zoning, Centro de Estudios Garrigues (2004-2009).
Lecturer on the Master’s Degree in Local Finance, ENAE (2007-2010).
Lecturer in Administrative Law, Universidad Católica de Valencia (2013).
He has also been a speaker at numerous symposiums, courses and seminars:
- Speaker on “Zoning Contracts” and “The Development Agent in Valencian Zoning Law” (*). Symposium on the New Land Law. Impact on Real Estate Activity organized by Directivos Construcción (CISS) in Madrid, May 19, 1998.
- Speaker on “The Contractual Regime Applying to Companies Providing Regular Public Passenger Transport Services (legislation on procurement procedures in the so-called “excluded sectors” following the entry into force of Law 48/1998, of December 30, 1998)” (*). Symposium on City and Intercity Road Passenger Transport organized by the Alicante Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation in Alicante, November 24, 1999.
- Speaker on “Private Financing of Public Infrastructure” (*). Symposium on Public Contracts organized by Garrigues & Andersen in conjunction with the Valencia Chamber of Commerce and the Valencia Autonomous Community Government Department of Public Works, Zoning and Transport, in Valencia, February 23 and 24, 2000.
- Speaker on “Private Management Systems under Law 9/1999” (*). Symposium on Canary Islands Planning Law 9/1999, organized by the Las Palmas de Gran Canarias Bar Association, in Las Palmas, March 22, 23 and 24, 2000.
- Speaker on “Private Financing of Public Infrastructure” (*). Symposium on Amendments to Public Procurement Legislation organized by Guipúzcoa Business Owners’ Association (ADEGI), San Sebastián, June 22, 2000.
- Course on “Definition, Performance and Management of Urban Development Works under an Integrated Zoning Program” organized by the Alicante Architects’ Association, Alicante, November 25, 27 and 29, 2002. (*)
- Training course on Valencia Zoning Law organized by Directivos Construcción, Benidorm, October 2002. (*)
- Speaker on “Zoning Management through the Development Agent” and “Reparceling and Performance of Urban Development Works” (*). Seminar on Urban Planning and Management within the Autonomous Community of Valencia, Valencia, May 20 and 21, 2003.
- Speaker on “The Right to Convert Developable Land” (*). Course on Reform of the Land and Appraisals Regime organized by International Faculty for Executives (IFAES) on February 17, 2004.
- Speaker on “Constitutional Justification for the Zoning Management Model using a Development Agent; Advantages and Disadvantages of the Model; Laws Containing this Figure and Evolution of the Model” (*). Seminar on Reform of the Land and Appraisals Regime organized by Institute for International Research (IIR). Madrid, March 24 and 25, 2004.
- Speaker on “The New Regime Governing Enabling Instruments” (*). Symposium on the New Telecommunications Framework, organized by Universidad Pontificia Comillas April 20-21, 2004.
- Speaker, Course on “Financial Liability of the State” (*), organized by IFAES. Madrid, October 27, 2004.
- Course on Telecommunications Law given by Garrigues in collaboration with Universidad de Murcia for the Directorate-General of Telecommunications of the regional government (Murcia, May 2005). (*)
- Speaker, Course on “Zoning Contracts” (*) organized by IFAES. Madrid, March 22, 2006.
- Speaker, Course on “Zoning Permits” (*) organized by IFAES. Madrid, October 26, 2006.
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Land Law, organized by ENAE and the Cartagena Chamber of Commerce. July 2007. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Land Law, organized by Fundesem. Alicante, October 2007. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Public Sector Contracts Law, organized by ENAE and the Cartagena Chamber of Commerce. March 2008. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Public Sector Contracts Law, organized by Expansión March 2008. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on Commercial Default and the Public Authorities organized by the Cartagena Chamber of Commerce (Cartagena). May 2011. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Appraisal Regulations, organized by Garrigues, TINSA and PROVIA. Alicante, April 2012. (*)
- Speaker on “Personnel Adjustment and Rationalization at Local Entities” (*), Symposium organized by the Chair in Territorial Finance at Universidad de Murcia. October 2012.
Speaker, Conferences on the Problem of Default by the Public Authorities organized by the Murcia Chamber of Commerce (Murcia). May 2011. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on “Financial Instruments for Local Entities” organized by Garrigues and the Chair in Territorial Finance at Universidad de Murcia. October 2011. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the Problem of Default by the Public Authorities organized by FRECOM and the Murcia chamber of Contractors. February 2012. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the Content of Royal Decree 4/2012, organized by the Cartagena Chamber of Commerce. March 2012. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the Supplier Payment Mechanism for Local Entities and the Autonomous Communities, organized by Confederación Empresarial Valenciana (CEV). March 2012. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on Public Procurement organized by CREAMA. Benisa, November 2010. (*)
- Speaker, Course on the Public Procurement Regime, organized by the Valencia Chamber of Commerce. November 2009. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Extraordinary Supplier Payment Mechanisms for Local Entities and the Autonomous Communities, organized by the Business Owners’ Association for La Safor (AES). Gandía, March 2012. (*)
- Speaker, Symposium on the New Appraisal Regulations under the Land Law, organized by the Regional Confederation of Business Owners for Murcia (CROEM). Murcia, May 2012. (*)
- Speaker on “Zoning Management in the Autonomous Community of Valencia” (*), on the Course on Zoning Management organized by SEPES. Madrid, October 2009.
Degree in Law, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-3), 1985-1990.
Degree in Economics and Business Studies, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-3), 1985-1991.
Master’s Degree in Tax Counseling, Escuela de la Empresa de Valencia, 1991-1992.
Seminar on the New Legislation on Mergers and Spin-offs of Enterprises. Madrid, 1994.
Course on legal and administrative organization of environmental, territorial and zoning management. Detailed Planning Instruments (80 hours). Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1996.
Course on Zoning Management and Enforcement (60 hours). Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1997.
Author of articles on current administrative law issues in various publications (Economía 3, ABC, Diario Mediterráneo, etc.). Co-author of “Comments on Law 33, 2003 on the Property of the Public authorities” (*), coordinated by Carmen Chinchilla and published by Thomson Civitas (Legal Deposit no. NA3277/2004).
(*) originally given/published in Spanish.