Our criminal law team boasts a high degree of expertise and a wealth of professional experience in the defense of the interests of individuals and legal entities. We identify the problems and needs of our clients, regardless of the business sector in which they operate, with a view to offering them the litigation strategy best suited to them, including advice during the pre-litigation phase.
Our criminal law practitioners specialize in crimes committed in a wide range of areas and call on the support of experts from other practice areas as and when required. We also advise on proceedings for extradition to and from Spain.
We currently defend our clients’ interests against a particularly challenging backdrop. As far as corporate crime is concerned, 2011 was marked by the entry into force of the reform of the Criminal Code following the introduction of Organic Law 5/2010, of June 22, 2010, and, in particular, by the new provisions on the criminal liability of legal entities. In light of the extraordinary impact of these changes on Spain’s corporate landscape, we analyze and raise awareness of the implications of these reforms, providing advice on regulatory compliance and assisting in the design and implementation of corporate compliance programs, a field in which Garrigues has broken new ground..
Areas of expertise
- Corporate crime/corporate criminal liability
- Crimes against property and against the socioeconomic order.
- Money laundering.
- Crimes against the public authorities and the justice system (criminal misfeasance in public office, bribery and corruption).
- Public finance and social security offenses.
- Occupational health and safety offenses.
- Planning offenses.
- Environmental crime.
- Crimes against privacy and personal portrayal.
- Reputational crimes (malicious accusation and criminal insult).
- Forgery and misrepresentation.
- Intellectual property crimes.
- Market and consumer offenses.
- Crimes against the person (injury and manslaughter).
- Extradition and international arrest warrants.
- Applications for pardon.