José Luis Buendía
Partner heading the Brussels Office
European Commission 1991 – 2005 (Legal Service, Directorate-General of Competition, Cabinet of Commissioner Marcelino Oreja and Directorate-General Internal Market).
Professor of European Law, Vrije Universiteit Brussels (VUB), since 2003.
Assistant Professor of Trade Law, Universidad de Zaragoza, 1987 – 1991.
Member of the Zaragoza Bar Association. Member of the French-speaking Brussels Bar Association.
Universidad de Zaragoza (Degree in Law, 1987; Ph.D. in Law, 1998 and Special Prize for Ph.D., 1999).
College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium): Diploma in Advanced European Legal Studies, 1990 and Master’s Degree in European Legal Studies, 1991.
Harvard University Law School, Cambridge MA (U.S.A.).
Visiting Researcher at the European Law Research Center & Real Colegio Complutense (February-June 1996).
- "Not like this: some sceptical remarks on the 'refined economic approach' in State aid", to be published in the European State Aid Law Quarterly, 2006.
- “An analysis of Article 86(2) EC”, Part IV, Chapter 1 of Sanchez Rydelski (Ed.) The EU State aid regime, to be published in 2006.
- "Spanish Report on State aid enforcement", report for the XXII FIDE Congress, 2006.
- “Public Undertakings and Exclusive or Special Rights - Article 86(3) EC” Part III of the book by Ortiz Blanco, L., EC Competition Procedure, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- "Article 86 - Exclusive Rights and other anti-competitive State measures", Chapter of the book by Faull, J. & Nikpay, A. (eds.) The EC Law of competition, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, to be published in 2006.
- Special and exclusive rights. Public services and services of general economic interest*, a chapter of the book by Beneyto, J.M. & Maillo, J. (Eds),
- The Competition Law Treaty*, Instituto de Estudios Europeos, Universidad San Pablo CEU, Bosch, 2004.
- Book on Exclusive Rights and State Monopolies under EC Law, Oxford University Press, 450 pages, January 2000, Oxford.
- "Article 86 (former Article 90) Exclusive Rights and other anti-competitive State measures", Chapter 8 of the book by Faull, J. & Nikpay, A. (eds.)
- The EC Law of Competition, Oxford University Press, 1st edition, 1999, Oxford.
- Leigh Hancher & José Luis Buendia Sierra, "Cross-subsidization and EC Law", Common Market Law Review, 35, pp. 901-945, 1998.
- Public companies and competition law: Article 90 of the EC Treaty*, a chapter of the book by Ortiz Blanco, L. (dir.),
- EU Competition Law*, Madrid, Centro Ramon Carande, 1998, pp. 211-232.
- "La Communication sur les services d'intérêt général en Europe et la politique communautaire de concurrence", a chapter of the book by Kovar, R., y Simon, D. (dir.)
- Service public et Communauté européenne: entre l'intérêt général et le marché, Actes du colloque de Strasbourg, 17-19 October 1996, La Documentation Française, Paris, 1998, Tome II, p. 461-473 (also published in EC Competition Policy Newsletter. Vol. 2, n.3, 1996, pp. 14-22.)
- "Privatization and European Community Law", speech presented on 22.04.1996 at Harvard Law School, Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA).
- "Liberalization and State Intervention – Summary of the most important developments", EC Competition Policy Newsletter, Vol. 2, n. 3, 1996, pp. 41-45; Vol. 1, n. 6, Autumn/Winter 1995, p. 39-43; Vol. 1, n. 5, Summer 1995, pp. 37-42; Vol. 1, n.4, Spring 1995, pp. 40-45; Vol. 1, n.3, Autumn/Winter 1994, p. 49-50.
- "Commentaire de l'arrêt de la Cour de Justice des Communautés européennes du 5 octobre 1994, affaire C-323/93, Centre d'insémination de la Crespelle", EC Competition Policy Newsletter, Vol. 1, n. 3, Autumn/Winter 1994, p. 53-56.
- "The concept of Third Party Access under EEC Treaty rules", chapter from the book by Stuyck & Vossestein (eds.), State Entrepreneurship, National Monopolies and European Community Law, Kluwer, Deventer-Boston, 1993, pp. 41-46.
- "La CEE è contro i monopoli", Europaforum. anno IV, nº 10, Dec. 1991, p. 40-44.
- "Las secuelas del caso Cassis de Dijon", Revista de Instituciones Europeas, vol. 16, no. 1, Jan-April 1989, pp. 135-171.