Garrigues’ criminal law experts can boast a high degree of expertise and a wealth of professional experience in the defense of the interests of individuals and legal entities. They identify the problems and needs of the Firm’s clients, regardless of the business sector in which they operate, with a view to offering them litigation strategy best suited to them, including advice during the pre-litigation phase.
Garrigues’ criminal law practitioners specialize in crimes committed in a whole range of areas and can call on the support of experts from other practice areas as and when required. They also advise on extradition proceedings both in requesting or requested countries.
At present, the focus of the Firm’s professionals is firmly on defending their clients’ interests against a particularly challenging backdrop. As far as white-collar crime is concerned, 2011 was marked by the entry into force of the reform made to the Criminal Code following the commencement of Organic Law 5/2010, of June 22, 2010, and, above all, by the new provisions on the criminal liability of legal entities. Given the extraordinary impact of these changes on Spain’s corporate landscape, Garrigues’ experts are focusing their efforts on analyzing and raising awareness of the implications of these reforms, on providing advice on compliance, and on designing and implementing crime prevention programs in the business arena, a field in which Garrigues has broken new ground.
Areas of expertise
- White-collar crime/corporate criminal liability.
- Crimes against property and against the socioeconomic order.
- Money laundering.
- Crimes against the public authorities and the justice system (criminal misfeasance in public office, bribery and corruption).
- Public finance and social security offenses.
- Occupational health and safety offenses.
- Planning offenses.
- Environmental crime.
- Crimes against privacy and personal portrayal.
- Reputational crimes (malicious accusation and criminal insult).
- Forgery and misrepresentation.
- Intellectual property crimes.
- Market and consumer offenses.
- Crimes against the person (injury and manslaughter).
- Extradition and international arrest warrants.
- Applications for pardon.